The lives and lessons of the patriarchs, unfolded and illustrated
- by the Rev. John Cumming, D.D., F.R.S.E.
- London : John F. Shaw & Co., 1865.
- Physical description
- viii, 616,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 20 cm.
Also available at
At the library
Limited on-site access
Researchers in the Stanford community can request to view these materials in the Special Collections Reading Room. Entry to the Reading Room is by appointment only.
|BS573 .C86 1865||In-library use|
Item belongs to a collection
Stephen Jay Gould was a renowned evolutionary biologist, paleontologist, historian of science, educator, popular science author, polymath, and an enthusiastic collector. His papers include, but are not limited to: subject files; coursework and research from his graduate studies at Columbia University; his teaching and administrative files from Harvard University and New York University; organizational and committee files; conference, lecture, and symposia files; research files and data; photographs; artifacts and memorabilia (including specimens); clippings and scrapbooks; photographs; audiovisual materials; biographical materials; files related to Gould’s passion for baseball and music; and various reprints and manuscripts by others. The Stephen J. Gould Rare Books Collection, part of the larger Stephen J. Gould Papers bequest to the Stanford University Libraries, consists of approximately 1,500 rare, antiquarian books, some dating back to the late 1400s.
- Digital collection
- 1026 digital items
- Cumming, John, 1807-1881.
- Publication date
- Added t.p., engraved in color.
- Text within decorated border; tail pieces; illustrated initials.
- Hand-colored plates engraved by Leighton Bros.
- Publisher's advertisement: p. [1-16] at end.
- Stanford copy 1 (RBC): Imperfect: lacks publisher's advertisement, at end.
Browse related items
Start at call number: