A best practice guide to assessment and intervention for autism and Asperger syndrome in schools
- Wilkinson, Lee A. (Lee Anthony)
- London ; Philadelphia : Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2010.
- Physical description
- 208 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
RJ506 .A9 W55 2010
- Unknown RJ506 .A9 W55 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 189-201) and indexes.
- Acknowledgements.-- Preface.-- Foreword by Diane Twachtman-Cullen.-- 1. Introduction and Overview.-- 2. Best Practice in Screening.-- 3. Best Practice in Assessment.-- 4. Case Examples: Jeremy and Sally.-- 5. Best Practice for Intervention and Treatment.-- 6. Best Practice in Special Needs Education.-- 7. Future Directions and Conclusion.-- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).-- Glossary of Terms.-- Glossary of Acronyms.-- Appendix A: Childhood Autism Spectrum Test (CAST).-- Appendix B: ASD Observation Checklist.-- Appendix C: ASD Assessment Worksheet.-- Appendix D: IDEA Disability Categories.-- Appendix E: DSM-IV-TR Diagnostic Criteria.-- Appendix F: Sample IEP Goals and Objectives.-- Appendix G: Resources for Further Information.-- Index to Best Practice Recommendations.-- Reference List.-- Index.-- About the Author.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- With a focus on best practice and the importance of early diagnosis, this book provides a practical and scientifically-based approach to the assessment and diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome and autism spectrum conditions. This book offers a balance of conceptual, practical and empirical information designed to bridge the research-to-practice gap in identifying, assessing, and treating school-aged children with autism-related conditions. Assessment tools and intervention strategies will support school-based professionals in: identifying and assessing young people with high-functioning autism spectrum conditions; developing and implementing classroom-based intervention programs; initiating a dialogue between parents and teachers; accessing community resources; and, promoting special needs advocacy. With illustrative case studies, FAQs, quick reference boxes, and a glossary, this accessible guide will appeal to teachers, counsellors, psychologists, social work practitioners and students.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Lee A. Wilkinson ; [foreword by Diane Twachtman-Cullen].
- 9781849058117 (pbk.)
- 1849058113 (pbk.)