Reframing the path to school leadership : a guide for teachers and principals
- Bolman, Lee G.
- 2nd ed.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2010.
- Physical description
- ix, 160 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
LB2805 .B58 2010
- Unknown LB2805 .B58 2010
- Deal, Terrence E.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 155-160).
- Acknowledgments About the Authors Introduction Part I. A Pair of Rookies 1. A New Teacher's First Day 2. Getting Off on the Right Foot 3. A New Principal Finds a Wise Friend Leadership Lessons I: Surmounting Entry Barriers Part II: The Political Frame 4. The Old Guard and the New Principal 5. The Tracking Wars: School Politics at Work Leadership Lessons II: Scoping, Mastering and Mapping the Political Terrain Part III: The Human Resource Frame 6. Sagging Morale Leadership Lessons III: Building Relationships and Empowering Yourself Part IV: The Structural Frame 7. Student Discipline: Who's Really in Charge? 8. Standards and Accountability Leadership Lessons IV: Coping With Reform Part V: The Symbolic Frame 9. The End of the Year: Symbols and Culture in Schools 10. "I'm Just a Great Teacher!" Leadership Lessons V: Celebrating Values and Culture Part VI: Values, Ethics, and Spirit 11. Teaching and Leading: Finding a Balance 12. A Talk About Values Leadership Lessons VI: Problems and Dilemmas Part VII: The Torch is Passed 13. The Essence of Teaching: Leaving a Legacy 14. Passing the Torch: The Beat Goes On Leadership Lessons VII: The Enduring Sequence Epilogue Annotated Bibliography.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This second edition of "Reframing the Path to School Leadership" demonstrates how teachers and school leaders can forge strong leadership paths within their schools, from their initial days in a new position to experiences that arise along their professional journey. Writing for new and seasoned educators, Lee G. Bolman and Terrence E. Deal demonstrate how to use multiple frames - politics, human resources, school structures, and cultural symbols - to develop the powerful habits of mind and perspective needed for addressing the challenging educational issues. Through narrative storytelling and a series of dialogues between a novice and a master teacher and between a new and a seasoned principal, the authors illustrate how framing, then reframing, challenges can result in more effective leadership. Updated throughout, this resource presents end-of-section Leadership Lessons that compliment each chapter, provide an explicit summary of the leadership lessons reflected in the interwoven stories, offer solid strategies for practical application, and include reflective questions for group discussion and individual professional growth.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Lee G. Bolman, Terrence E. Deal.
- 9781412978194 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 141297819X (pbk. : alk. paper)