Jumping from the ivory tower : weaving environmental leadership and sustainable communities
- Rosemarie Russo.
- Lanham, Md. : University Press of America, c2010.
- Physical description
- vi, 76 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2324 .R87 2010||Unknown|
- Russo, Rosemarie.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Chapter 1 Preface Chapter 2 Acknowledgments Chapter 3 Introduction Chapter 4 Chapter One: Environmental Consciousness Chapter 5 Chapter Two: Environmental Education Enhancement Chapter 6 Chapter Three: Unheard Voices: Politics of Science Chapter 7 Chapter Four: Western State College and Rutgers University Case Study Chapter 8 Chapter Five: The Nature of Race Chapter 9 Chapter Six: Gown to Town Connection Chapter 10 Appendices Chapter 11 Author Biography.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780761849803 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- Jumping from the Ivory Tower demonstrates the positive results that occur when colleges work with communities to develop students with a sense of place. The book examines the role of colleges and communities in addressing today's environmental problems, including climate change and biodiversity loss, and shows how service learning changes both minds and behavior. Russo's work is based on two case studies of creating sustainable communities in Colorado and New Jersey. The book also examines the politics of environmental science through a careful consideration of traditional ecological knowledge, environmental justice, and eco-exclusions on a local and global level. It suggests methods to inspire leaders and assist communities in addressing environmental justice issues. Lastly, the book suggests ways to increase the number of women and minorities in the science field.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780761849803 20160604
- Publication date
- 9780761849803 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0761849807 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780761849810 (ebk.)
- 0761849815 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: