Stepping-stones : a journey through the Ice Age caves of the Dordogne
- Christine Desdemaines-Hugon ; foreword by Ian Tattersall.
- New Haven [Conn.] : Yale University Press, c2010.
- Physical description
- xix, 222 p., 8 p. of plates : ill. (some col.), maps ; 25 cm.
- Desdemaines-Hugon, Christine, 1946-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 203-209) and index.
- Freshly plowed fields in the Vézère Valley
- Font de Gaume
- Millions of years ago
- Neanderthals and Homo sapiens
- Venus figures, blades, beads, and bone
- Laurel leaves and needles
- Cap Blanc
- Art at its peak
- Publisher's Summary
- Well-written and eminently accessible, this book explores and celebrates the Upper Palaeolithic art of the Dordogne, admirably conveying the author's enthusiasm for her subject. Desdemaines-Hugon's text reads as a personalised guided tour to five famous sites, all of which are still open to the public: Font de Gaume, Combralles, Cap Blanc, Rouffignac and Bernifal. The descriptions are beautifully done, marrying the art with its setting, and portable and decorative arts are also covered, giving the reader a real feel for the sophistication of Cro-magnon culture, as well as insights as to its development.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780300152661 20160604
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Journey through the Ice Age caves of the Dordogne
- 9780300152661 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0300152663 (cloth : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: