Development and assessment of self-authorship : exploring the concept across cultures
- edited by Marcia B. Baxter Magolda, Elizabeth G. Creamer, and Peggy S. Meszaros.
- 1st ed.
- Sterling, Va. : Stylus, 2010.
- Physical description
- xii, 300 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1060 .D476 2010||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Table of Illustrations-- Acknowledgements-- Part One: The Nature of Self-Authorship-- 1) Foundational Assumptions And Constructive-Developmental Theory: Self-Authorship Narratives, Lisa M. Boes, Marcia B. Baxter Magolda, and Jennifer A. Buckley-- 2)The Interweaving of Epistemological, Intrapersonal, and Interpersonal Development in the Evolution of Self-Authorship, Marcia B. Baxter Magolda-- 3) Linking Learning Conceptions to Self-Authorship and Beyond, Rebecca Hamer and Erik Jan van Rossum-- Part Two: Multicultural Perspectives on Self-Authorship-- 4) Investigating Latino Ethnic Identity Within the Self-Authorship Framework, Vasti Torres-- 5) An Exploratory Study of the Relationship Between Adolescent Risk and Resilience and the Early Development of Self-Authorship, Peggy S. Meszaros and Crystal Duncan Lane-- 6) Toward Self-Authorship in Child Care Students: Implications for Working With Children and Their Families, Joanne Brownlee, Donna Berthelsen, and Gillian Boulton-Lewis-- 7) Epistemological Development of Bedouins and Jews in Israel: Implications for Self-Authorship, Michael Weinstock-- 8) Personal Epistemology, Learning, and Cultural Context: Japan and the United States, Barbara K. Hofer-- Part Three: Theoretical and Methodological Challenges-- 9) Beyond Self-Authorship: Fifth Order and the Capacity for Social Consciousness, Kelli Zaytoun-- 10) The Role of the Cognitive Dimension of Self-Authorship: An Equal Partner or the Strong Partner?, Patricia M. King-- 11) What is Self-Authorship?: A Theoretical Exploration of the Construct, Jane Elizabeth Pizzolato-- 12) Demonstrating the Link Between Reasoning and Action in the Early Stages of Self-Authorship, Elizabeth G. Creamer-- 13) Getting to the Complexities of Identity: The Contributions of an Autoethnographic and Intersectional Approach, Susan R. Jones-- 14) Using the Subject-Object Interview to Promote and Assess Self-Authorship, Jennifer Garvey Berger-- Part Four: Future Directions-- 15) Future Directions: Pursuing Theoretical and Methodological Issues in the Evolution of Self-Authorship, Marcia B. Baxter Magolda-- Contributors-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781579223687 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- This title deals with higher education: student affairs & campus issues. This book brings together new scholarship that expands and refines the concept of self-authorship across cultures. It adopts a constructive-developmental approach to self-evolution that emphasizes the interaction of personal characteristics and contextual influences on individuals' construction of knowledge, identities, and relationships. Individual chapters cover subjects from populations as varied as Dutch students, male and female Bedouin and Jewish adolescents, African American male and female adolescents in economically depressed areas of the US, Latino/a college students grappling with ethnic identity and dissonance, Australian college females preparing to be childcare workers, and finally a comparative study of Japanese and U.S. college students' epistemic beliefs. The book concludes by addressing questions about the challenges and opportunities involved in developing a valid measure of self-authorship that is less time and expertise-intensive than the in-depth one-on-one interview employed until now; and offering an outline of future theoretical and methodological research needed to further our understanding of self-evolution in general and self-authorship in particular.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781579223687 20160604
- Learning, Psychology of > Cross-cultural studies > Congresses.
- Constructivism (Education) > Cross-cultural studies > Congresses.
- Cognitive styles > Cross-cultural studies > Congresses.
- Self-actualization (Psychology) > Cross-cultural studies > Congresses.
- Developmental psychology > Cross-cultural studies > Congresses.
- Publication date
- Revised papers from a conference held in Riva San Vitale, Switzerland in May 2008.
- 9781579223670 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1579223672 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781579223687 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1579223680 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: