Patriotism and citizenship education
- edited by Bruce Haynes.
- Chichester, West Sussex, U.K. ; Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2009.
- Physical description
- xxiii, 108 p. ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC1091 .P38 2009||Unknown|
- Haynes, B. T. (Bruce T.)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Notes on Contributors. Foreword ( Michael A. Peters ). Introduction ( Bruce Haynes ). 1 Patriotism, History and the Legitimate Aims of American Education ( Michael S. Merry ). 2 Patriotism and Democratic Citizenship Education in South Africa: On the (im) possibility of reconciliation and nation building ( Yusef Waghid ). 3 A New Patriotism? Neoliberalism, citizenship and tertiary education in New Zealand ( Peter Roberts ). 4 History Teaching for Patriotic Citizenship in Australia ( Bruce Haynes ). 5 The Debate on Patriotic Education in Post-World War II Japan ( Kanako Ide ). 6 Patriotism in British Schools: Principles, practices and press hysteria ( Michael Hand & Joanne Pearce ) 7 Education for World Citizenship: Beyond national allegiance ( Muna Golmohamad ). Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781405199889 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- Seven authors describe the controversial nature of patriotism and citizenship education in their country, basing their account and recommendations upon their philosophical understanding of education and schooling. Offers differing national perspectives on patriotism across the United States, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Japan and England Discusses varying accounts of how patriotism and citizenship education should be handled as part of the school curriculum Provides crucial insights into how schools handle social and political demands on controversial topics.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781405199889 20160604
- Publication date
- "Originally published as volume 41, issue 4 of Educational Philosophy and Theory"--T.p. verso.
- Related Work
- Educational philosophy and theory.
- 9781405199889 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1405199881 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: