Universities and reflexive modernity : institutional ambiguities and unintended consequences
- Lazăr Vlăsceanu.
- Budapest ; New York : Central European University Press, 2010.
- Physical description
- 194 p. : ill. ; 21 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA628 .V63 2010||Unknown|
- Vlăsceanu, Lazăr.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- List of Tables Acknowledgments Introduction PART I COPING WITH UNCERTAINTIES Chapter 1 The Clash Between Academic Traditions, Markets and GATS Chapter 2 Demography and Higher Education. Risks and Prospective Approaches PART II THE NEW WORLD OF HIGHER EDUCATION Chapter 3 University and Development: A Vicious or a Virtuous Circle? Chapter 4 Academic Transformation: Continuities and Discontinuities Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9789639776494 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- This is a book about the challenges and uncertainties facing today's university, a chronicle of recent and current changes in higher education in the world. There are many questions today that are sufficiently open to doubt and profoundly related to new developments, to justify new enquiries, by looking freshly and more closely at the actual configurations and at their historical grounds, for providing the new standard account of the university today. Vlasceanu discusses the inherent contradiction between academia on the one hand, and expectations and regulations of the market on the other. This title analyses demographic and other statistical characteristics of today's higher education. It examines the financial basis of universities, describes current governance models, and sets up a new typology of universities.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9789639776494 20160604
- Publication date
- 9789639776494 (pbk.)
- 9639776491 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: