Teacher assessment and the quest for teacher quality : a handbook
- edited by Mary M. Kennedy ; foreword by Marilyn Cochran-Smith.
- 1st ed.
- San Francisco, CA : Jossey-Bass, c2010.
- Physical description
- xix, 428 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2838 .T386 2010||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- About the Editor/Contributors. Foreword (Marilyn Cochran-Smith). Introduction: The Uncertain Relationship Between Teacher Assessment and Teacher Quality (Mary M. Kennedy). Part One: Assessment of Teacher Candidates. 1 The Use of Portfolios in Preservice Teacher Education: A Critical Appraisal (Ginette DeLandshere, Anthony R. Petrosky). 2 Disposition Assessment: The Science and Psychology of Teacher Selection (Laurie Moses Hines). Part Two: Assessment for Transition into Teaching. 3 Assessment for Learning in Preservice Teacher Education: Performance-Based Assessments (Ruth Chung Wei, Ray L. Pecheone). 4 Licensure Tests: Their Use and Value for Increasing Teacher Quality (Dan Goldhaber). 5 Hiring Decisions (Dane A. Delli). Part Three: Assessment of Practicing Teachers. 6 The Role of Formative Assessments in New Teacher Induction (Peter Youngs, Ben Podgodzinski, Mark Low). 7 Assessing for Teacher Tenure (Gary Sykes, Sarah Winchell). 8 Approaches to Annual Performance Assessment (Mary M. Kennedy). 9 Value-Added: Assessing Teachers' Contributions to Student Achievement (Douglas N. Harris, Daniel F. McCaffrey). 10 The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards: An Investment for the Future (Jillian P. Reese)? 11 Judging Teachers: The Law of Teacher Dismissals (Diana Pullin). Part Four: Broader Assessment Issues. 12 Setting Standards for Teacher Evaluation (Barbara B. Howard , Arlen R. Gullickson). 13 Thinking Systemically About Assessment Practice (Pamela A. Moss). 14 Teacher Quality: An American Educational Dilemma (David K. Cohen). Discussion Questions. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Teacher quality is a key priority for the No Child Left Behind Act. The Teacher Quality and Teacher Assessment Handbook provides multiple perspectives on the complex issue of teacher quality by examining the preparation, licensure, and assessment of teachers. Exploring topics like preservice teacher education, licensure tests, and tenure, this volume presents the changes needed to improve teacher quality. With a foreword by Marilyn Cochran-Smith, this resource includes top experts in the field. School administrators and teacher educators will find this handbook vital for enhancing teacher quality and assessment.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- "Published in Partnership with The American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education."
- 9780470388334 (cloth)
- 0470388331 (cloth)
Browse related items
Start at call number: