Becoming a model minority : schooling experiences of ethnic Koreans in China
LC3501 .K6 G36 2010
- Unknown LC3501 .K6 G36 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 101-107) and index.
- Chapter 1 Tables Chapter 2 Figures Chapter 3 Abbreviations Chapter 4 Acknowledgements Chapter 5 Chapter 1 - The Making of A Model Minority Chapter 6 Chapter 2 - Ethnic Koreans in China: Their Schooling and Society Chapter 7 Chapter 3 - Korean Parents and the Aspirations for Their Children Chapter 8 Chapter 4 - Challenges of Discourses on "Model Minority" and "South Korean Wind" Chapter 9 Chapter 5 - Korean Students' Self-perception and Educational Aspirations Chapter 10 Chapter 6 - Korean Students' School Practice Chapter 11 Chapter 7 - To be or not to be a Model Minority Chapter 12 Bibliography Chapter 13 Appendix Chapter 14 Index Chapter 15 About the Author.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Becoming a Model Minority: Schooling Experiences of Ethnic Koreans in China looks at the manner in which ethnic Korean students construct self-perception out of the model minority stereotype in their school and lives in Northeast China. It also examines how this self-perception impacts the strength of the model minority stereotype in their attitudes toward school and strategies for success. Fang Gao shows how this stereotype tends to obscure significant barriers to scholastic success suffered by Korean students, as well as how it silences the disadvantages faced by Korean schooling in China's reform period and neglects the importance of multiculturalism and racial equality under the context of a harmonious society.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Fang Gao.
- Emerging perspectives on education in China
- 9780739136836 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0739136836 (cloth : alk. paper)