An adventure in service-learning : developing knowledge, values and responsibility
- Anto T. Kerins.
- Farnham, Surrey, England : Gower ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2010.
- Physical description
- xx, 292 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC220.5 .K47 2010||Unknown|
- Kerins, Anto T.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -282) and index.
- Preface-- Introduction-- Part 1 Service-Learning: What is service-learning?-- The learning involved-- The service involved-- The role of higher education-- Service-learning in action: the case study.-- Part 2 Research Findings: knowledge learning-- Values learning-- Preparing for work and society-- The service-learning experience.-- Part 3 The Future: How to strengthen education-- Postscript-- Appendices-- references-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780566088940 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- "An Adventure in Service Learning" argues that education can provide not just knowledge and skills but it can also encourage the development of values and responsibility. Service-Learning is a teaching method unlike any other. It allows students to use their classroom theory to help others through relevant service or volunteering activity. In so doing, it gives students the opportunity to use the experiences of helping others to strengthen their understanding of subject material. Service-learning is like a bridge that connects education with the outside world. It breathes life and clarity into any subject and better prepares students for life after college. "An Adventure in Service-Learning" is a well written and easy to read book. It introduces the newcomer to service-learning and provides the seasoned practitioner with an important analysis of this most interesting of teaching methods. Its discussion of learning and the role of higher education will interest educationalists and its consideration of service will be important to those who are concerned about community. A passionate belief in education and its possibilities permeates "An Adventure in Service-Learning". The book examines service-learning in project management, leadership and management consultancy and provides readers with an understanding of how the method can work in any subject or discipline. It clarifies the need for community and discusses the nature and possibilities of what it means to be human. The book will help to renew and reinvigorate practitioners, policy makers and the education system as a whole.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780566088940 20160604
- An Adventure in Service-Learning argues that education can provide not just knowledge and skills but it can also encourage the development of values and responsibility.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781409401902 20160604
- Service learning.
- Publication date
- 9780566088940 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 0566088940 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9781409401902 (ebk.)
- 1409401901 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: