When kids are grieving : addressing grief and loss in school
- Donna M. Burns ; foreword by Kenneth J. Doka.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2010.
- Physical description
- xiv, 108 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1027.55 .B87 2010||Unknown|
- Burns, Donna M.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 99-103) and index.
- Foreword by Kenneth J. Doka Preface Acknowledgments About the Author 1. Am I Qualified to Work With Grieving Children? Overview Self-Awareness Reflection Activity Case Study: How Do I Tell the Children? Part I Thought Provokers and Issues to Consider Chapter Reflection Key Terms 2. What Are the Different Types of Losses and Grief Reactions? Overview Dimensions of Loss Anticipatory Grief Versus Unanticipated Grief PRECEDENT: A Conceptual Framework for Understanding Grief Responses Thought Provokers and Issues to Consider Chapter Reflection Key Terms 3. What Do I Need to Know About Children's Grief? Overview Developmental Processes What and How Children Grieve Case Study: How Do I Tell the Children? Part II Gender Differences Thought Provokers and Issues to Consider Chapter Reflection Key Terms 4. What Do I Need to Know About Adolescents' Grief? Overview Developmental Processes Cognitive Factors Socioemotional Factors Family and Peers School, Media, and Technology How Teens Grieve Risk-Taking Behaviors and Suicide Suicide Prevention Case Study: Reactions to a Classmate's Suicide Thought Provokers and Issues to Consider Chapter Reflection Key Terms 5. What Can I Do to Help Grieving Students? Overview "But I'm Not a Grief Counselor ..." Things You Need to Know First Things You Can Do Rituals and Activities Cultural Considerations Humor Thought Provokers and Issues to Consider Chapter Reflection Key Terms 6. What Are the Elements of School-Based Crisis Response? Overview School-Based Crisis Response Crisis Response Team Skills and Training Types of Crises School Crisis Response Plan Crisis Postvention Thought Provokers and Issues to Consider Chapter Reflection Key Terms 7. What Grief and Loss Resources Should Our School Have Available? Overview Naional Association of School Psychologists (NASP) Resources Fernside and Banana Splits Resource Center Reading Lists Online Resources School Grief and Loss Resource Library Thought Provokers and Issues to Consider Chapter Reflection Postscript Glossary References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412974905 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- This primer on loss and grief helps educators and counsellors understand and respond to the extraordinary challenges that children and adolescents may face when dealing with loss and grief. The book explains how children and adolescents are affected by various forms of loss, such as divorce; loss of a parent, relative, or pet; violence; and, chronic illness, and provides specific guidelines and strategies for responding appropriately to expressions of grief that are unique to these age groups. A reader-friendly sourcebook, "When Kids Are Grieving" examines children's and adolescents' grief experiences at different developmental levels and provides educators and counsellors with: a comprehensive overview of the many dimensions of loss; strategies and techniques to help students handle the emotions associated with loss; a format designed to stimulate thought, promote communication, and facilitate effective interventions; and, a collection of helpful charts, quotes, activities, and reproducible handouts.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412974905 20160604
- Publication date
- 9781412974905 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412974909 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: