Foundations of education
LA212 .S46 2010
- Unknown LA212 .S46 2010
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction to the Foundations of Education, Susan F. Semel I. The History of Education 1. Of Booker T. Washington and others, W.E.B. Du Bois 2. The Progressive movement in American education: A perspective, Lawrence A. Cremin 3. Inside the system: The character of urban schools: 1890-1940, David B. Tyack II. The Politics of Education 4. Broken promises: School reform in retrospect, Samuel Bowles and Herbert Gintis 5. What counts as educational policy? Notes toward a new paradigm, Jean Anyon 6. The democratic-liberal tradition under attack, Diane Ravitch III. The Sociology of Education 7. Functional and conflict theories of educational stratification, Randall Collins 8. The logic of teacher sentiments, Dan Lortie 9. The tracking wars, Jeannie Oakes IV. The Philosophy of Education 10. Experience and education, John Dewey 11. Wide awakeness and the moral life, Maxine Greene 12. The ideal of the educated person, Jane Roland Martin Questions for Further Discussion Permissions.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Foundations of Education helps aspiring teachers interpret the craft of teaching within the historical, philosophical, cultural, and social contexts of education inside and outside of schools. This volume contains substantial selections from those works widely regarded as central to the development of the field. These are the "essential texts" that lay the basis of further study for any serious student of education. The text is organized around the separate foundations disciplines - history, politics, sociology, philosophy - and includes extended selections from the works of John Dewey and W.E.B. DuBois to contemporary thinkers such as Maxine Greene and Diane Ravitch. Noted scholar and editor of this volume, Susan Semel, provides an introductory essay as well as questions for further discussion that contextualize the readings and highlight the selections' continued importance and application to today's most pressing educational issues.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Susan F. Semel.
- The essential texts
- 9780415806251 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415806259 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780415806244 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415806240 (hbk. : alk. paper)