Service-learning and social justice : engaging students in social change
- Susan Benigni Cipolle.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, c2010.
- Physical description
- xiv, 177 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC221 .C535 2010||Unknown|
- Cipolle, Susan Benigni, 1953-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 171-176).
- Part 1 Understanding the Social Justice Model for Service-Learning Chapter 2 Overview of the Social Justice Model for Service-Learning Chapter 3 Becoming Committed to Service Chapter 4 Becoming Committed to Social Justice Chapter 5 Developing a Critical Consciousness Chapter 6 Navigating the Stages of Critical Consciousness Development Part 7 Engaging Students in Social Change through Service-Learning Chapter 8 K-12 Education: Strategies for Effective Service-Learning Practices Chapter 9 Higher Education: Strategies for Critical Consciousness Development Chapter 10 Program Development: Strategies for Building and Sustaining Your Service-Learning Program Chapter 11 Program Development: Continuing the Journey.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Service-Learning and Social Justice provides everything administrators and teachers need to build service-learning programs that prepare students as engaged citizens committed to equity and justice. Cipolle describes practical strategies for classroom teachers along with the theoretical framework so readers can deftly move beyond the book to a meaningful program for their schools. Writing in a conversational style, the author explains service-learning's unlimited potential in terms of student empowerment and academic achievement and as tool in developing a student's a lifetime commitment to service and social justice. This book's contribution to new knowledge and practice is three-fold as it promotes (a) understanding of how individuals become committed to social justice, (b) identification of how one's orientation to service-learning and social justice changes as one develops a more critical consciousness, and (c) practical strategies that teachers can use to support and guide students as they become more critically aware. Practitioners will improve their service-learning programs and have a framework for preparing students for their experiences, as well as ideas for reflection activities. Educators will gain a better understanding of the psychology and sociology of developing a commitment to service for social justice.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781607095187 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1607095181 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781607095194 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 160709519X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781607095200 (electronic)
- 1607095203 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: