Democracy in America
- by Alexis de Tocqueville ; translated by Elizabeth Trapnell Rawlings ; abridged with an introduction by Michael Kammen.
- Uniform Title
- De la démocratie en Amérique. English
- Boston : Bedford/St. Martin's, c2009.
- Physical description
- xvii, 184 p. : ill., map ; 21 cm.
- Bedford series in history and culture.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 175-176) and index.
- PART I Introduction: Tocqueville's Democracy in America Tocqueville's Life and Character The Journey in America Content and Key Themes of the Work How Democracy in America Was Received The Relevance and Legacy of Democracy in America PART II Author's Introduction The Influence of Democracy Upon the Intellectual Development of the United States Influence of Democracy on the Opinions of Americans Influence of Democracy on Customs as Such The Influence of Democratic Ideas and Attitudes on Politics APPENDIXES A Tocqueville Chronology (1805-1859) Questions for Consideration Selected Bibliography The Bedford Series in History and Culture.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780312463304 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- This new edition of Democracy in America makes Tocqueville's classic nineteenth-century study of American politics, society, and culture available - finally! - in a brief and accessible version. Designed for instructors who are eager to teach the work but reluctant to assign all 700 plus pages, Kammen's careful abridgment features the most well-known chapters that by scholarly consensus are most representative of Tocqueville's thinking on a wide variety of issues. A comprehensive introduction provides historical and intellectual background, traces the author's journey in America, helps students unpack the meaning behind key Tocquevillian concepts like "individualism, " "equality, " and "tyranny of the majority, " and discusses the work's reception and legacy. Newly translated, this edition offers instructors a convenient and affordable option for exploring this essential work with their students. Useful pedagogic features include a chronology, questions for consideration, a selected bibliography, illustrations, and an index.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780312463304 20160604
- Supplemental links
Contributor biographical information
Table of contents only
- Publication date
- The Bedford series in history and culture
- 9780312463304 (pbk.)
- 0312463308 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: