A new model of school discipline : engaging students and preventing behavior problems
- David R. Dupper.
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Physical description
- xi, 92 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Oxford workshop series (School Social Work Association of America)
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB3012.2 .D86 2010||Unknown|
- Dupper, David R.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 73-87) and index.
- Current disciplinary practices : an overview
- How did we get here? : a brief history of discipline in U.S. public schools
- A new paradigm : a relationship-based, preventive model of discipline
- Best practices in reducing or preventing student behavior problems : multi-tiered programs and strategies
- The hard part : making organizational changes in schools.
- Publisher's Summary
- Mounting evidence shows that zero-tolerance policies, suspensions, and restrictive security policies fail to improve school safety and student behaviors, and are linked with increased risk of dropping out. Minority students are suspended at disproportionate rates, and over a million cases of corporal punishment are reported each year. Against this dismal backdrop, David Dupper presents a transformative new model of school discipline that is preventive, proactive, and relationship-based. Unlike traditional punitive and exclusionary practices, the model developed in this Workshop volume focuses on enhancing students' connection to school through building relationships and bolstering social skills. Drawing on the latest research about what works, and what doesn't, this highly practical guide catalogs an array of proven and promising practices designed to engage, instead of exclude, students. Rather than illustrate a one-size-fits-all approach, it guides practitioners and administrators in identifying their school's unique needs and selecting appropriate strategies for use at the universal, targeted, and remedial levels. A five-step strategic planning model helps schools transition toward a holistic, relationship-based approach to discipline.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780195378078 20160603
- Publication date
- Oxford workshop series : School Social Work Association of America
- 9780195378078 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0195378075 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: