The burden of academic success : loyalists, renegades, and double agents
- Allison L. Hurst.
- Lanham, Md. : Lexington Books, c2010.
- Physical description
- xi, 316 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LC5051 .H87 2010
- Unknown LC5051 .H87 2010
- Hurst, Allison L., 1969-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 275-312) and index.
- 1 Preface 2 Acknowledgements 3 Chapter One: Introduction 4 Chapter Two: Historical and Social Background 5 Chapter Three: Class Stereotypes of Intelligence and the Possibilities of Education 6 Chapter Four: Opposing Cultures 7 Chapter Five: Divided Loyalties 8 Chapter Six: Gates and Gowns 9 Chapter Seven: The Burden of Academic Success 10 Chapter Eight: Conclusion 11 Appendix A: Methodology.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The Burden of Academic Success: Loyalists, Renegades, and Double Agents explores class identity reconstructions among working-class students attending a public university. Rather than focus on working-class failure, this book takes a critical look at the psychological and social costs of academic success. Based on several hours of interviews with a diverse group of working-class students, this book describes how successful students respond to, react to, and manage their academic success. The book does for class what other theorists have done for race, examining the dynamic interplay of class identity and educational success/social mobility. The distinguishing features of the book are rich narrative detail; compelling stories of student success and struggle; intersectional analysis exploring the ways class, race, and gender inform each other in students' understandings and narratives with an interwoven theory throughout; and a new typology for understanding working-class student responses to the burden of academic success. The Burden of Academic Success is ideal for courses on sociology, education, and American studies as well as for use by college educators and administrators.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780739140598 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0739140590 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780739140611 (electronic)
- 0739140612 (electronic)