Teaching language arts to English language learners
- Vásquez, Anete.
- New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical description
- xvi, 196 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Teaching English language learners across the curriculum.
PE1128 .A2 V38 2010
- Unknown PE1128 .A2 V38 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -193) and index.
- Series Introduction Acknowledgements Introduction Part 1 - Your English Language Learner Tony Erben 1.1 -- Orientation 1.2 - The Process of English Language Learning and What to Expect 1.3 - Deciding on the Best ESOL Program 1.4 - Teaching for English Language Development 1.5 - Not All ELLs are the Same 1.6 -- Culturally Responsive Pedagogy 1.7 -- Not All Parents are the Same: Home-School Communication 1.8 - English Language Learners with Special Needs Part 2 - Principles of English/Language Arts Teaching and Learning 2.1 - English/Language Arts-Focused ESOL Research Part 3 - Teaching English/Language Arts 3.1 - Introduction 3.2 - Reading Strategies 3.3 - Reading Literature 3.4 - Writing 3.5 - Grammar 3.6 - Vocabulary Development 3.7 - Speaking 3.8 - Listening and Viewing 3.9 - Developing a Unit of Study for a Complete Work Resources Internet Resources for Teachers Literature for Teachers Internet Resources for English Language Learners.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Today's language arts classrooms increasingly include students for whom English is a second language. Teaching Language Arts to English Language Learners provides readers with the comprehensive understanding of both the challenges that face ELLs and ways in which educators might address them in the language arts classroom. The authors offer proven techniques that teachers can readily use to teach reading, writing, grammar, and vocabulary as well as speaking, listening, and viewing skills. A complete section is also devoted to ways teachers can integrate all five strands of the language arts curriculum into a comprehensive unit of study with meaningful accommodations for ELLs. An annotated list of web and print resources completes the volume, making this a valuable reference for language arts teachers to meet the challenges of including all learners in effective instruction. Special features include: over a dozen learning activities for each of the main areas of the language arts curriculum engaging vignettes vividly illustrate real-life interactions of teachers and ELLs in the classroom graphs, tables, and illustrations provide additional access points to the text in clear, meaningful ways.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Anete Vásquez, Angela L. Hansen, Philip C. Smith.
- Teaching English language learners across the curriculum
- 9780415995320 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415995329 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780415995313 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 0415995310 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9780203856482 (e-book : alk. paper)
- 0203856481 (e-book : alk. paper)