The modern Middle East
- Ilan Pappé.
- 2nd ed.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical description
- xv, 366 p. : ill., maps ; 25 cm.
- Pappé, Ilan.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 335-349) and index.
- List of illustrations Preface to the first edition Preface to the second edition Preface to the third edition Introduction: whose 'modern times'? 1 The political and economic background 2 The rural history of the Middle East in the twentieth century
- 3 Urban history
- 4 Popular culture: music, dance and arts
- 5 The history of the written word 6 Histories of Middle Eastern women 8 The many faces of Religion in the twenty-first century 9 The new media revolution
- 10 The globalized Middle East in the twenty-first century: three final aspects
- 11 The 'Arab Spring': A Defining Moment for Middle Eastern Scholars Notes Bibliography Picture credits Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
This hugely successful, ground-breaking book is the first introductory textbook on the Modern Middle East to foreground the urban, rural, cultural and women's histories of the region over its political and economic history. Ilan Pappe begins his narrative at the end of the First World War with the Ottoman heritage, and concludes at the present day with the political discourse of Islam. Providing full geographical coverage of the region, The Modern Middle East: opens with a carefully argued introduction which outlines the methodology used in the textbook provides a thematic and comparative approach to the region, helping students to see the peoples of the Middle East and the developments that affect their lives as part of a larger world includes insights gained from new historiographical trends and a critical approach to conventional state- and nation-centred historiographies includes case studies, debates, maps, photos, an up-to-date bibliography and a glossarial index. This second edition has been brought right up to date with recent events, and includes a new chapter on the media revolution and the effect of media globalization on the Middle East, and a revised and expanded discussion on modern Iranian history.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Previous ed.: 2005.
- 9780415543729 (pbk.)
- 041554372X (pbk.)
- 9780415543712 (hbk.)
- 0415543711 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: