What's so important about music education?
- J. Scott Goble.
- New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical description
- xii, 338 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Routledge research in education 32.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|MT1 .G58 2010||Unknown|
- Goble, J. Scott.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -327) and index.
- 1. Music as an Academic Subject in the Public Schools of the United States: An Inherent Cultural Tension 2. "Culture, " "Worldview, " and Pragmatism: The Philosophy and Semiotic of Charles Sanders Peirce 3. A Pragmatic Conception of Musical Practices: "Music" as a Sign of Worldview 4. Conceptions of Music in the United States 5. A Brief Historical Survey of Concepts of Music in Music Education in the United States 6. Community, Autonomy, and Music Education in the Postmodern United States: Summary and Recommendations.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415800549 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- What's So Important About Music Education? presents a new philosophy of music education for the United States, rooted in history and current perspectives from ethnomusicology. J. Scott Goble explores the societal effects of the nation's foundations in democracy and capitalism, the constitutional separation of church and state, and the rise of recording, broadcast, and computer technologies. He shows how these and other factors have brought about changes in the ways music teachers and concerned others have conceptualized music and its importance in education. In demonstrating how many of the personal and societal benefits of musical engagement have come to be obscured in the nation's increasingly diverse public forum, Goble argues for the importance of musical engagement in human life and for the importance of music in education. An ideal text for courses in music education foundations, the book concludes with recommendations for teaching the musical practices of the nation's cultural communities in schools in terms of their respective cultural meanings.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415800549 20160604
- Publication date
- Routledge research in education ; 32
- 9780415800549 (hbk.)
- 0415800544 (hbk.)
- 9780203853221 (ebk.)
- 0203853229 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: