Negotiating language policies in schools : educators as policymakers
- edited by Kate Menken, Ofelia García.
- New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical description
- xiii, 278 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|PB1 .N44 2010||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Foreword, Nancy H. Hornberger 1. Introduction, Kate Menken & Ofelia Garcia Part I: Negotiation of Language Education Policies Guided by Educators' Experiences or Identity (Individual) 2. Appropriating Language Policy on the Local Level: Working the Spaces for Bilingual Education, David Cassels Johnson and Rebecca Freeman 3. Two-Teacher Classrooms, Personalized Learning and the Inclusion Paradigm in the United Kingdom: What's in it for Learners of EAL? Angela Creese 4. "Tu Sais Bien Parler Maitresse!": Negotiating Languages other than French in the Primary Classroom in France, Christine Helot 5. "Angles Make Things Difficult": Teachers' Interpretations of Language Policy and Quechua Revitalization in Peru, Laura Alicia Valdiviezo 6. Towards Normalizing South African Classroom Life: The Ongoing Struggle to Implement Mother-Tongue Based Bilingual Education, Carole Bloch, Xolisa Guzula, and Ntombizanele Nkence 7. Enacting Language Policy through the Facilitator Model in a Monolingual Policy Context in the United States, Bonnie English and Manka M. Varghese 8. Between Intended and Enacted Curricula: Three Teachers and a Mandated Curricular Reform in Mainland China, Yuefeng Zhang and Guangwei Hu Part II: Educators' Negotiation of Language Education Policies Influenced by Situation/Context/Community (Social) 9. Maori Language Policy and Practice in New Zealand Schools: Community Challenges and Community Solutions, Mere Berryman, Ted Glynn, Paul Woller, and Mate Reweti 10. (Re)Constructing Language Policy in a Shi'i School in Lebanon, Zeena Zakharia 11. Cases of Language Policy Resistance in Israel's Centralized Educational System, Elana Shohamy 12. Traversing the Linguistic Quicksand in Ethiopia, Michael Daniel Ambatchew 13. Language Policy in Education and Classroom Practices in India: Is the Teacher a Cog in the Policy Wheel? Ajit K. Mohanty, Minati Panda, and Rashim Pal 14. Chilean Literacy Education Policies and Classroom Implementation, Viviana Galdames and Rosa Gaete Part III: Moving Forward 15. Stirring the Onion: Educators and the Dynamics of Language Education Policies (Looking Ahead), Ofelia Garcia and Kate Menken 16. Moving Forward: Ten Guiding Principles for Teachers, Ofelia Garcia and Kate Menken.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415802086 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- Educators are at the epicenter of language policy in education. This book explores how they interpret, negotiate, resist, and (re)create language policies in classrooms. Bridging the divide between policy and practice by analyzing their interconnectedness, it examines the negotiation of language education policies in schools around the world, focusing on educators' central role in this complex and dynamic process. Each chapter shares findings from research conducted in specific school districts, schools, or classrooms around the world and then details how educators negotiate policy in these local contexts. Discussion questions are included in each chapter. A highlighted section provides practical suggestions and guiding principles for teachers who are negotiating language policies in their own schools.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415802086 20160604
- Publication date
- 9780415802086 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415802083 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780415802079 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415802075 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780203855874 (ebk.)
- 0203855876 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: