Jerusalem cuts [videorecording]
- a production of Belfilms and First Hand Films ; produced for Channel 8, BBC, ZDF/arte ; director, Liran Atzmor ; producers, Noemi Schory, Itay Ken Tor.
- English, Arabic. In English, some Arabic with English subtitles.
- New York, NY : Cinema Guild, 
- Physical description
- 1 videodisc (54 min.) : sd., col. with b&w sequences ; 4 3/4 in.
- "The founding of Israel -- specifically, the 1948 war for Jerusalem, which erupted just five days after the United Nations declaration -- is seen through the work of two photographers, British and Palestinian, in this compelling documentary that examines how pictures shape the way history is remembered and taught. It includes remarkable photographs that have never been seen before. John Phillip [sic] was one of the first photo journalists in the world to report on the war in Jerusalem. Assigned by Life magazine, he became sympathetic with the plight of the Jewish people and made passionate and emotional pictures of the evacuation of thousands of Jewish men, women and children from the Old City. They are the only published photographs of the battle. Ali Zaarour was one of the few photographers who documented the Palestinian side of the story. As the only Muslim photographer among them, his work depicted the tragedy of the Palestinian 'Naqba' (Catastrophe) ... The film also profiles Jack Padwais [sic], producer of the first major film about the birth of Israel, "Hill 24 Does Not Answer." Coming from a right wing Jewish family, he recreated the battle for Jerusalem from an Israeli perspective ... These three men offer three different points of view on one war"--Container.
- Phillips, John, 1914-1996.
- Zaarour, Ali.
- Padwa, Jack.
- Israel-Arab War, 1948-1949 > Photography.
- Arab-Israeli conflict > History > 20th century > Sources.
- War photographers.
- Jewish motion picture producers and directors > Israel.
- Israel > History > 1948-1967 > Sources.
- Publication date
- Originally released as a motion picture in 2008.
- Production Credits
- Cinematographer, Ron Katzenelson ; editor, Haim Tabakman.
- Narrators, Rob Dugay, Johny Phillips.
- DVD-R; all regions; NTSC; widescreen presentation.
Browse related items
Start at call number: