The laws of disruption : harnessing the new forces that govern life and business in the digital age
- Downes, Larry, 1959-
- New York : Basic Books, c2009.
- Physical description
- vi, 298 p. ; 25 cm.
HC79 .I55 D69 2009
HC79 .I55 D69 2009
- Unknown HC79 .I55 D69 2009
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 283-284) and index.
- Digital life : understanding second-order effects
- The weird economics of information : non-rivalrous goods and the problem of transaction costs
- Law one : convergence : when worlds collide
- Law two : personal information : from privacy to propriety
- Law three : human rights : social contracts in digital life
- Law four : infrastructure : rules of the road on the information highway
- Law five : business : all regulation is local
- Law six : crime : public wrongs, private remedies
- Law seven : copyright : reset the balance
- Law eight : patent : virtual machines need virtual lubricants
- Law nine : software : open always wins...eventually
- Conclusion : lessons learned.
- Publisher's Summary
- While digital life races ahead, the rest of our life, from law to business, struggles to keep up. Business strategists, lawyers, judges, regulators, and consumers have all been left behind, scratching their heads, frantically trying to figure out what they can and can't do. Some want to bring innovation to a standstill (or at least to slow it down) through lawsuits and regulation so they can catch their breath. Others forge madly ahead, legal consequences be damned. In The Laws of Disruption, Larry Downes, author of the best-selling Unleashing the Killer App, provides an invaluable guide for these confusing times, exploring nine critical areas in which technology is dramatically rewriting the rules of business and life. The Laws of Disruption will help business owners and managers understand not only how to avoid being blindsided by customer rebellion, but also how to benefit from it. It will teach lawyers, judges, and regulators when to keep their hands off the system and it will show consumers the consequences of their digital actions. In the gap created by the Law of Disruption, golden opportunities await those who move quickly.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Larry Downes.
- 9780465018642 (alk. paper)
- 0465018645 (alk. paper)