Working with student writers : essays on tutoring and teaching
- edited by Leonard A. Podis and JoAnne M. Podis.
- 2nd ed.
- New York : Peter Lang, c2010.
- Physical description
- x, 396 p. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|PE1404 .W66 2010||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Contents: Katie Gilmartin: Working at the Drop-In Writing Center - Tisha Turk: Tutoring Beyond the Writing Center: Peer Consulting in the Classroom - Alicia Koundakjian: Speaking the Written Voice - Franchesca Medina: The Motives Behind Tutoring and Being Tutored - Peggy Putney: Working with Peers at the Writing Center: Tutoring for Diverse Disciplines - Jeremiah Dyehouse: Peer Tutors and Institutional Authority - Polly Dondy-Kaplan: Processing Writing - Emily Fawcett: Like, it was, you know what I mean?: Conversational vs. Presentational Speech in Student Academic Discourse - JoAnne M. Podis/Leonard A. Podis: Improving Our Responses to Student Writing: A Process-Oriented Approach - Naomi Strand: The Comments They Made: An Exploration of Helpful and Unhelpful Commentary - Noelle Howey: The Dilemmas of Grading - Leonard A. Podis: Perspectives on the Writing Classroom - Noelle Howey: No Answers: Interrogating Truth in Writing - Kate Daloz: Glazed Looks and Panic Attacks: Teaching Grammar to Basic Writers - Jenny Love: Learning from Writer's Block - Miriam Axel-Lute: Consciousness, Frustration, and Power: The Making of Contextual Writer's Block - Aaron Rester: The Hero with a Thousand Voices: The Relationship Between the Narrative and Academic Styles - Samantha Sansevere: On the Use of I in Academic Writing - Dinah Shepherd: Why Do We Write? - Melissa Hoskins: Demystifying the Discourse - JoAnne M. Podis: Authority Issues in Online Instruction - Aaron Miller: Internet Forums and the Writing Student - Elizabeth Weinstein: Writing in the Information Age: The Language of Email and Instant Messaging - Anita Stone: Scientific Writing: What's So Difficult About It Anyway? - Elizabeth Schambelan: Defining a Persona Within the Boundaries of Academic Discourse, or God, I Sound Like a Pretentious Ass - Holly Thompson: Traveling the Middle Ground: Bridging the Dichotomies Between Academic and Personal Discourse - Kanupriya Arora: Academic Papers Within the College Discourse - Emily Ryan: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and the Writing Process - Maria E. Barajas-Roman: Writing Beyond the Words: Language Minority Students and School Discourse - Emma Nolan-Thomas: Theory and Practice: Integrating ESL Scholarship and Peer Tutoring Pedagogy - Monica Bielski Boris: My Hidden Class Consciousness and the Impact of Socioeconomic Class in Academia - Virginia Pryor: Writing in Academia: The Politics of Style - Desirae Sweet: Rural Blue-Collar Identities and the Writing Process - Monica L. Davis: Caught Between Skin Color and Dialect: A Non-Essentialist View of Black English - Rebecca Phares/David Schwam: Writing Inside Out: Issues of Sexual Identity in the Writing Classroom - Lauren Podis: No Voice, No Vote: The Politics of Basic Writing - Grace Chang: Contextualizing the Debates: A Historical View of Expository Writing.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781433107108 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- This revised, expanded collection provides practical and theoretical knowledge for undergraduate writing associates and graduate teaching assistants. Unlike similar collections, this volume is comprised largely of pieces authored by tutors themselves, offering hands-on advice for current classmates and future tutors; thus the volume highlights specific issues that arise when writing associates and novice teachers actually attempt to practice their craft. When used in pedagogy courses, the essays can serve both as sources of instruction about tutoring and teaching and as models for students' own course papers. This edition incorporates fifteen new essays to complement the best selections from the first edition.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781433107108 20160604
- Publication date
- 9781433107108 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1433107104 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: