Motivating students to learn
- Jere Brophy.
- 3rd ed.
- New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical description
- xv, 343 p. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1065 .B776 2010||Unknown|
- Brophy, Jere E.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Preface 1. Student Motivation: The Teacher's Perspective 2. Establishing a Learning Community in Your Classroom 3. Supporting Students' Confidence as Learners 4. Goal Theory 5. Rebuilding Discouraged Students' Confidence and Willingness to Learn 6. Providing Extrinsic Incentives 7. Self-Determination Theory of Intrinsic Motivation: Meeting Students' Needs for Autonomy, Competence, and Relatedness 8. Other Ways to Support Students' Intrinsic Motivation 9. Stimulating Students' Motivation to Learn 10. Socializing Uninterested or Alienated Students 11. Adapting to Differences in Students' Motivational Patterns 12. Looking Back and Ahead: Integrating Motivational Goals Into Your Planning and Teaching Author Index Subject Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415800709 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- Written specifically for teachers, this book offers a wealth of research-based principles for motivating students to learn. Its focus on motivational principles rather than motivation theorists or theories leads naturally into discussion of specific classroom strategies. Throughout the book these principles and strategies are tied to the realities of contemporary schools (e.g., curriculum goals) and classrooms (e.g., student differences, classroom dynamics). The author employs an eclectic approach to motivation that shows how to effectively integrate the use of extrinsic and intrinsic strategies. Guidelines are provided for adapting motivational principles to group and individual differences and for doing "repair work" with students who have become discouraged or disaffected learners.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415800709 20160604
- Motivation in education.
- Publication date
- Previous ed.: 2004.
- 9780415800709 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415800706 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780415800693 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415800692 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780203858318 (ebk.)
- 020385831X (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: