So you want to write about American Indians? : a guide for writers, students, and scholars
- Devon Abbott Mihesuah.
- Lincoln : University of Nebraska Press, c2005.
- Physical description
- xii, 164 p. ; 22 cm.
- Devon Abbott Mihesuah (Devon Abbott), 1957-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- So You Want to Write about American Indians? is the first of its kind--an indispensable guide for anyone interested in writing and publishing a novel, memoir, collection of short stories, history, or ethnography involving the Indigenous peoples of the United States. In clear language illustrated with examples--many from her own experiences--Choctaw scholar and writer Devon Abbott Mihesuah explains the basic steps involved with writing about American Indians. So You Want to Write about American Indians? provides a concise overview of the different types of fiction and nonfiction books written about Natives and the common challenges and pitfalls encountered when writing each type of book. Mihesuah presents a list of ethical guidelines to follow when researching and writing about Natives, including the goals of the writer, stereotypes to avoid, and cultural issues to consider. She also offers helpful tips for developing ideas and researching effectively, submitting articles to journals, drafting effective book proposals, finding inspiration, contacting an editor, polishing a manuscript, preparing a persuasive resume or curriculum vitae, coping with rejection, and negotiating a book contract. Devon Abbott Mihesuah is a professor of applied Indigenous studies and history at Northern Arizona University. She is the author of Indigenous American Women: Decolonization, Empowerment, Activism and the coeditor of Indigenizing the Academy: Transforming Scholarship and Empowering Communities, both published by the University of Nebraska Press.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780803282988 20160603
- Supplemental links
Table of contents
Contributor biographical information
- Publication date
- 9780803282988 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0803282982 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: