Ethics and entertainment : essays on media culture and media morality
- edited by Howard Good and Sandra L. Borden.
- Jefferson, N.C. : McFarland & Co., c2010.
- Physical description
- viii, 319 p. ; 23 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The ethics of speaking out / Wendy N. Wyatt and Kristie Bunton
- "I'm sorry, oh, so sorry" : celebrity apologies and public ethics / Nikki Usher and Janel S. Schuh
- Quasars : silent celebrities, ethical implications / Kyle F. Reinson
- "Sportainment" meets high school sports / Marie Hardin and Thomas F. Corrigan
- The diaper demographic : viewing very young children as an economically viable market / Erin L. Ryan and Keisha L. Hoerrner
- Superbad : a twisted and touching ethical mess of a movie / Joseph C. Harry
- Tall tales : exploring the ethics of storytelling in the age of infotainment / Cynthia M. King and Deni Elliott
- This time it's personal : the ethics of 9/11 docudrama / Steve Lipkin
- Bread and circuits : politics in an entertainment culture / Mike Dillon
- The common morality of interviewers : evaluating moral guidelines of non-journalists / David Charlton
- Cops and reality TV : public service or public menace? / Jack Breslin
- Documentary tradition and the ethics of Michael Moore's SiCKO / Sandra L. Borden
- "Just a cartoonist" : the virtuous journalism of Joe Sacco / Howard Good
- Whose tube is it anyway? / John Chapin
- Enlightenment ethics in DIY culture / Bill Reader
- Fictionalized torture : Jack Bauer's war on terrorism / K. Maja Krakowiak
- Hillbilly stereotypes and humor: entertaining ourselves at the expense of the other / Elizabeth K. Hansen and Angela F. Cooke-Jackson
- Epistemic freedom, science fiction, and ethical deliberation / Trin Turner and Joshua D. Upson
- Weight watching : the ethics of commodifying appearance for profit / Berrin A. Beasley.
- Publisher's Summary
- As modern media shift from the distribution of information to its creation, a fresh inquiry into the ethics of media is needed. This collection of 19 essays provides useful perspectives for both producers and consumers of entertainment. Topics include the creation of celebrity, the effects of entertainment on children, the hybridization of entertainment and news, author and intellectual property rights, and the role of human dignity in modern media, among many others.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780786439096 20160603
- Publication date
- 9780786439096 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0786439092 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: