The Beyond Access model : promoting membership, participation, and learning for students with disabilities in the general education classroom
- by Cheryl M. Jorgensen, Michael McSheehan, Rae M. Sonnenmeier.
- Baltimore, Md. : Paul H. Brookes Pub. Co., c2010.
- Physical description
- xxv, 243 p. : ill. ; 26 cm. + 1 CD-ROM (4 3/4 in.)
Education Library (Cubberley)
- Library has: 1 v. + 1 CD-
LC1201 .J6698 2010
- Library has: 1 v. + 1 CD-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Beyond access to general education
- History, rationale, and framework of the Beyond Access model
- Presuming competence
- Membership, participation, and learning
- Collaborative teaming
- Phase 1: Comprehensive Assessment of Student and Team Supports (CASTS)
- Phase 2: explore and describe student and team supports
- Phase 3: implement and document student and team supports
- Phase 4: review and sustain student and team supports
- Administrative leadership team.
- Publisher's Summary
- How can educators create inclusive classrooms where students with intellectual and developmental disabilities not only participate and communicate, but also learn academic content? The groundbreaking model in this book is the answer. Practical, forward-thinking, and person-centered, "The Beyond Access Model" shows education professionals what meaningful inclusive education looks like and gives them the critical guidance they need to make it happen. A researched approach developed by three inclusive education experts from the University of New Hampshire's respected Institute on Disability, the Beyond Access Model works because it: presumes competence and encourages high expectations, so all students reach their full potential; and, is consistent with the problem-solving framework of the popular and effective Response to Intervention model. This accessible book guides educators and administrators through every phase of the Beyond Access Model, from assessing current student supports to reviewing and sustaining the benefits of new inclusive education strategies. Vignettes and examples - including a detailed, real-life 'before and after' case study - vividly illustrate how the model improves students' educational experience and outcomes. And more than a dozen adaptable checklists, forms, and templates give educators the structure they need as they begin planning and implementing inclusion strategies. An innovative model that can transform schools and lives, "Beyond Access" will ensure that students with disabilities enjoy the benefits of full membership, participation, and learning within truly inclusive classroom communities.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- System requirements for CD-ROM: Windows 95 or higher; or, Mac OS 8.6 or higher; 16 MB RAM; 24 MB hard drive space; CD-ROM drive.
- 9781557667175 (pbk.)
- 1557667179 (pbk.)