Managing ADHD in the K-8 classroom : a teacher's guide
- Grad L. Flick.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2010.
- Physical description
- xi, 232 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC4713.2 .F55 2010||Unknown|
- Flick, Grad L.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 217-226) and index.
- Acknowledgments About the Author 1. Overview of ADHD About This Book Age Range Options for Teachers Clinical Manual Sequence of Steps 2. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Core Characteristics of ADHD Biological Bases of ADHD Current DSM-IV-TR Criteria Behavioral Features Comorbidity Conditions Developmental Trends: Child to Adult The ADHD Controversy Long-Term Outcomes for ADHD Summary 3. Diagnosis and Assessment of ADHD Assessment of ADHD Defining Functional Impairment Medication Monitoring A Behavioral Alternative Behavioral Operations Sequence Primary Functions of Behavior Types of Reinforcers Alternate Placement Summary 4. Education of Children With ADHD General Suggestions Academic Suggestions Behavioral Suggestions Accommodations Teaching Children With ADHD Academic Instruction Summary 5. Basic Behavioral Techniques: Development of Appropriate Behavior Baseline Premack Principle Communication Verbal Praise Independent Functioning Developing New Behaviors Social Skills Self-Concept/Self-Esteem Including Home Behavior in School Programs Contingency Contracting Home-School Notes Effective Home-School Programs Summary 6. Basic Behavioral Techniques: Removing Inappropriate Behavior Development of ADHD Behaviors Removing Inappropriate Behavior Selecting Behaviors and Ignoring and Withdrawing Privileges Using Class Procedures to Forestall Predictable Sequences Prevention Strategies Disciplining Students With ADHD Summary 7. Specific Behavioral Interventions for ADHD Inattention On-Task Behavior Impulsivity Hyperactivity Reinforcement Following Instructions Noncompliance Social Skills Problems Aggression Inappropriate Verbalizations Self-Monitoring Summary 8. Survival Techniques for Teachers Changing the Teacher's Coping Strategy Relaxation and Stress Management Daily Affirmations Being Assertive Summing Up Teacher Mental Health Practices The Future Outlook Summary Appendixes Resources References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- To help teachers gain a better understanding of ADHD, licensed clinical psychologist Grad L. Flick provides clear-cut behavioural intervention strategies for dealing with everything from general behaviour challenges to specific issues related to ADHD. "Managing ADHD in the K-8 Classroom" offers the latest research-based information about characteristics, assessment, and behaviours associated with ADHD, and provides appropriate options for responding to children's challenging behaviour. This valuable resource features case studies, checklists, graphs, and specific strategies that help general and special education teachers: make accommodations in the classroom; promote appropriate behaviour and discourage inappropriate behaviour; deal with children's impulsivity, attention problems, hyperactivity, difficulty following directions, and other problem behaviours related to ADHD; and, use relaxation and stress management techniques that strengthen teachers' ability to handle behavioural challenges.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781412969109 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412969107 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: