The 200 most frequently asked legal questions for educators
- Essex, Nathan L.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2009.
- Physical description
- xxii, 313 p. : ill., maps ; 26 cm.
KF4119.85 .E849 2009
- Unknown KF4119.85 .E849 2009
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Educators and the legal system
- Student rights and restrictions
- Student discipline
- Liability and student records : Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Rights of students with special needs
- Teacher constitutional rights and freedoms
- Terms and conditions of employment
- School and district liability
- School attendance and instructional programs
- Religious freedoms and restrictions in public schools
- Teacher dismissal and due process
- Discrimination in employment
- Collective negotiations
- No Child Left Behind.
- Publisher's Summary
- 'This is one of the best books involving legal issues that I have seen. It is practical, well organized, and thorough. Specific court cases and findings clearly illuminate the intent of the law, giving the administrator guidance in making sound legal decisions. This book would be an excellent reference for any administrator's collection' - Sharon M. Redfern, Principal Highland Park Elementary School, Lewistown, MT. On a daily basis, today's educators must make legally sound decisions concerning the instruction, supervision, and safety of students while operating within the boundaries of the U.S. Constitution, federal and state laws, and school district policy. This compact, jargon-free, easy-to-understand reference focuses on two hundred common legal issues to provide school administrators and teachers with authoritative, legally defensible approaches for addressing school challenges. Through the accessible Q&A format, teachers and school leaders can read sequentially or browse for immediate answers on topics such as religious issues, individuals' rights, disciplinary practices, morality, teacher dismissal, liabilities, NCLB, and more. Practical and concise, this guide provides: a list of relevant court cases pertaining to each question and answer; legal references to guide teachers' and school leaders' actions; a glossary of legal terms and a list of selected federal statutes; and, summaries and conclusions at the end of each chapter. "The 200 Most Frequently Asked Legal Questions for Educators" contains invaluable information to assist educators in performing their duties effectively and in accordance with the law.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Nathan L. Essex.
- Title Variation
- Two hundred most frequently asked legal questions for educators
- Most frequently asked legal questions for educators
- 9781412965767 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412965764 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781412965774 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412965772 (pbk. : alk. paper)