Building classroom success : eliminating academic fear and failure
- Martin, Andy, 1962-
- London ; New York : Continuum, c2010.
- Physical description
- xi, 224 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
LB1025.3 .M33713 2010
- Unknown LB1025.3 .M33713 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -217) and index.
- Foreword-- Part 1: Achievement Evolution in the Classroom-- 1. Achievement in the 21st Century-- Part 2: Success in the Classroom-- 2. Success Seekers-- Part 3: Fear and Failure in the Classroom-- 3. Fear, Failure, and Self-Esteem-- 4. Self-Esteem Protection-- 5. Self-handicapping-- 6. Defensive Pessimism and Defensive Optimism-- 7. Disengagement and Helplessness-- 8. Overstriving and Perfectionism-- 9. Fear of Success and Success Avoidance-- Part 4: Building Classroom Success, Eliminating Academic Fear and Failure-- 10. Courageous and Constructive Views of Poor Performance-- 11. Developing Broadly-based Self-esteem-- 12. Effectively dealing with competition-- 13. Reducing Avoidance and Increasing Success Orientation-- 14. Developing Healthy Views of Competence-- 15. Developing Rock-solid Self-esteem-- 16. Running Your Own Race-- 17. Seizing Control-- 18. Empowering Beliefs about Cause and Effect-- 19. Teacher Tip Wrap-up-- 20. Good Teacher-Student Relationships-- Conclusion-- Recommended reading-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book examines the ways in which students respond to academic failure and provides practical strategies that educators can put in place to build classroom confidence and success. School has the potential to be a major source of personal and academic fulfillment. However, the reality is that fear and failure pervade many students' academic lives. Rather than respond to academic fear and failure in constructive and courageous ways, many students engage in self-defeating, avoidant, and helpless behaviors. This book examines the counterproductive strategies students use in response to their fear and failure. Also examined are the successful practices educators can put in place to eliminate fear and failure in the classroom and help students respond to their problematic behaviors in more positive and productive ways. In doing so, educators lay the foundations for building classroom success.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Andrew Martin.
- 9781847065605 (pbk.)
- 1847065600 (pbk.)