Ethics and humanity : themes from the philosophy of Jonathan Glover
- edited by N. Ann Davis, Richard Keshen, and Jeff McMahan.
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Physical description
- xii, 290 p. ; 25 cm.
- "Selected writings of Jonathan Glover": p. 283-284.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ABOUT THE CONTRIBUTORS
- PART 1: TORTURE
- 1. What Should We Do About Torture? - James Griffin
- PART 2: WAR
- 2. The Consequences of War - Thomas Hurka
- 3. Humanitarian Intervention, Consent, and Proportionality - Jeff McMahan
- PART 3: ETHICS, TRUTH, AND BELIEF
- 4. Humanity and the Perils of Perniciously Politicized Science - N. Ann Davis
- 5. Social Moral Epistemology and the Tasks of Ethics - Allen Buchanan
- 6. The Strains of Dialogue - Richard Keshen
- PART 4: BIOETHICS AND BEYOND
- 7. Humanity and Hyper-Regulation: from Nuremberg to Helsinki - Onora O'Neill
- 8. Transhumanity: A Moral Vision of the Twenty-First Century - John Harris
- PART 5: SOME SILENCES IN HUMANITY
- 9. The Foundations of Humanity - Roger Crisp
- 10. Bystanders to Poverty - Peter Singer
- 11. Compassion: Human and Animal - Martha Nussbaum
- PART 6: PERSONAL
- 12. Jonathan Glover - Alan Ryan
- PART 7: RESPONSES
- 13. A Summing Up - Jonathan Glover.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Ethics and Humanity pays to tribute to Jonathan Glover, a pioneering figure whose thought and personal influence have had a significant impact on applied philosophy. In topics that include genetic engineering, abortion, euthanasia, war, and moral responsibility, Glover has made seminal contributions. The papers collected here, written by some of the most distinguished contemporary moral philosophers, address topics to which Glover has contributed, with particular emphasis on problems of conflict discussed in his book, Humanity: A Moral History of the Twentieth Century. There are also moving testaments to the influence Glover has had on colleagues, students, and friends. Glover himself contributes a series of fine replies, which constitute an important addition to his published work.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780195325195 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0195325192 (hbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: