Successful single-sex classrooms : a practical guide to teaching boys and girls separately
- Michael Gurian, Kathy Stevens, Peggy Daniels.
- 1st ed.
- San Francisco, CA : Jossey-Bass, c2009.
- Physical description
- xv, 268 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Jossey-Bass teacher.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB3067.4 .G87 2009||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 253-257) and index.
- PART ONE The Case for Single-Sex Classrooms. ONE Single-Sex Classrooms Are Succeeding. TWO How Boys and Girls Learn Differently. PART TWO Setting Up and Maintaining Your Single-Sex Program. THREE Setting Up a Single-Sex Instructional Program. FOUR Four Tools for Evaluating Your Existing Single-Sex Instructional Program. PART THREE Teaching to the Learning Strengths of Boys and Girls. FIVE A Boy-Friendly Classroom-What Does It Look Like? SIX A Girl-Friendly Classroom-What Does It Look Like? SEVEN Strategies for Teaching Core Curricula to Boys. EIGHT Strategies for Teaching Core Curricula to Girls. NINE Building Relationships Through Single-Sex Experiences. Epilogue. Sources. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780787997328 20160603
- Publisher's Summary
- This book is an essential resource for educators who are teaching or leading schools with single-gender classes, whether they're in public, private, or Catholic schools. It is a "soup-to-nuts" guide, covering everything from curriculum planning and classroom design to school policies and parent-teacher communication. Whether contemplating this new educational trend, or already working within one of the 12,000 single-gender schools, this practical guide shows educators how they can make the most of a unique educational opportunity. Positioned at the forefront of brain-based learning, Michael Gurian's work translates and distills the latest scientific research into key points which can be immediately integrated into an educator's existing practice. The research underlines the importance of single-sex learning, and supports the creation and implementation of new strategies for accommodating the brain differences of boys and girls - at both the school and classroom level.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780787997328 20160603
- Publication date
- Jossey-Bass teacher
- "Grades K-12"--Cover.
- 9780787997328 (pbk.)
- 0787997323 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: