Changing for good : sustaining school improvement
- Melissa Evans-Andris.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2010.
- Physical description
- xiii, 195 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2822.8 .E853 2010||Unknown|
- Evans-Andris, Melissa, 1952-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 179-187) and index.
- List of Tables and Figures Acknowledgments About the Author Introduction Comprehensive School Reform Purpose and Focus of the Book Researching Reform Sustainability in Schools Organization of the Book 1. Sustaining Change in Schools Two Decades of Reform Policies Sustaining Reform Organizational Capacity and Sustaining Change in Schools Toward a Model of Sustainability 2. Setting the Stage for School Reform School Reform and State Infrastructure Opportunity for Improvement Through Comprehensive School Reform Discussion of the State Context for School Reform 3. Supporting Change in Schools Waterton County Burkett County District Support for Sustaining Change in Other Schools Discussion of District Support for Sustaining Reform 4. Promoting Distributed Leadership Leadership for Change Distributed Leadership in Tipton Middle School Developing Distributed Leadership in Greely Elementary School Principal Leadership for Reform Reform Facilitation Negotiation of Tasks and Responsibilities Preparing to Sustain School Reform Leadership and the Challenge of Change in Other Schools Discussion of Distributed Leadership and Sustaining Reform 5. Gaining Teacher Commitment Control of Teachers Versus Workplace Autonomy Forestview Middle School Littleton Middle School Teacher Commitment to Reform Teacher Commitment in Other Schools Lack of Teacher Commitment to Reform in Other Schools Discussion of Teacher Commitment and Sustaining Reform 6. Celebrating Gains Comprehensive School Reform and School Performance Tangible Resources and Supplies Contributions to School Culture Spillover Effects From the Grant Experience Discussion of the Effects of Reform and Sustainability 7. Changing for Good Sustaining Comprehensive School Reform Sustainability With Funding Commitment to Sustainability Without Funding Sustained Momentum for Improvement and Innovation No Sustainability Discussion of Patterns of Reform Sustainability 8. Reforming Reform Patterns of Sustainability A Model for Sustaining Change What Happened to CSR? Recommendations for Educators Resource: Methodology Design of the Study Research Questions Selection of Schools Data Collection Methods Reliability and Verification Data Analysis Ethical Considerations References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412968690 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- 'This important work identifies the critical elements of sustainability - the necessary goal of systemic reform - which requires a long-term commitment to change for the benefit of students' - Lois Adams-Rogers, Deputy Executive Director, Council of Chief State School Officers. The recent emphasis on educational reform has lead to many books on initiating school improvement, but relatively few on how to sustain reform efforts so that improvements have a lasting impact. "Changing for Good" offers a detailed examination of current schoolwide reform efforts and identifies strategies for introducing, managing, and sustaining successful school renewal programs. Based on a six-year study of 74 schools, the book provides a model for generating the necessary district support, schoolwide leadership, teacher commitment, and performance outcomes to cultivate improvement that lasts. Applicable at all levels, this model helps readers: align reform efforts with educational standards and accountability guidelines; create a research-based improvement plan; support change by developing a shared vision; promote distributed leadership; and, celebrate gains to encourage cooperation. The most beneficial school improvements are the ones that endure. With this exceptional resource, educational administrators and leaders can create a school environment that embraces meaningful change, sustains positive reform, and ensures successful learning outcomes.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412968690 20160604
- Publication date
- 9781412968683 (cloth)
- 1412968682 (cloth)
- 9781412968690 (pbk.)
- 1412968690 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: