Knowing and teaching elementary mathematics : teachers' understanding of fundamental mathematics in China and the United States
- Liping Ma.
- Anniversary ed.
- New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical description
- xxxiv, 194 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Studies in mathematical thinking and learning.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|QA135.5 .M22 2010||Unknown|
- Ma, Liping.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 156-160) and indexes.
- Author's Preface to the Anniversary Edition Series Editor's Introduction to the Anniversary Edition A Note about the Anniversary Edition Foreword Acknowledgments Introduction 1. Subtraction With Regrouping: Approaches To Teaching A Topic 2. Multidigit Number Multiplication: Dealing With Students' Mistakes 3. Generating Representations: Division By Fractions 4. Exploring New Knowledge: The Relationship Between Perimeter And Area 5. Teachers' Subject Matter Knowledge: Profound Understanding Of Fundamental Mathematics 6. Profound Understanding Of Fundamental Mathematics: When And How Is It Attained 7. Conclusion Appendix References New to the Anniversary Edition: Journal Article #1 New to the Anniversary Edition: Journal Article #2 Author Index Subject Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415873840 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- Studies of teachers in the U.S. often document insufficient subject matter knowledge in mathematics. Yet, these studies give few examples of the knowledge teachers need to support teaching, particularly the kind of teaching demanded by recent reforms in mathematics education. Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics describes the nature and development of the knowledge that elementary teachers need to become accomplished mathematics teachers, and suggests why such knowledge seems more common in China than in the United States, despite the fact that Chinese teachers have less formal education than their U.S. counterparts. The anniversary edition of this bestselling volume includes the original studies that compare U.S and Chinese elementary school teachers' mathematical understanding and offers a powerful framework for grasping the mathematical content necessary to understand and develop the thinking of school children. Highlighting notable changes in the field and the author's work, this new edition includes an updated preface, introduction, and key journal articles that frame and contextualize this seminal work.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415873840 20160604
- Publication date
- Studies in mathematical thinking and learning
- Originally published: L. Erlbaum Associates, 1999.
- 9780415873840 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415873843 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780415873833 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 0415873835 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9780203856345 (e-book : alk. paper)
- 0203856341 (e-book : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: