Wilfred Healey Stone papers, 1946-2004
- Physical description
- 17 linear feet
At the library
Finding aidOnline Archive of California
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|SC0975 2010-002 BOX 1||In-library use|
|SC0975 2010-002 BOX 2||In-library use|
|SC0975 2010-002 BOX 3||In-library use|
|SC0975 2010-002 BOX 4||In-library use|
|SC0975 2010-002 BOX 5||In-library use|
|SC0975 2010-002 BOX 6||In-library use|
|SC0975 2010-002 BOX 7||In-library use|
|SC0975 2010-002 BOX 8||In-library use|
|SC0975 2010-002 BOX 9||In-library use|
|SC0975 2010-002 BOX 10||In-library use|
|SC0975 2010-002 BOX 11||In-library use|
|SC0975 2010-002 BOX 12||In-library use|
|SC0975 2010-002 BOX 13||In-library use|
|SC0975 2010-002 BOX 14||In-library use|
|SC0975 2010-002 BOX 15||In-library use|
|SC0975 2010-002 BOX 16||In-library use|
|SC0975 2010-002 BOX 17||In-library use|
|SC0975 2010-002 HALF BOX 18||In-library use|
|SC0975 2013-054 BOX 1||In-library use|
|SC0975 2013-054 CARTON 2||In-library use|
|SC0975 2013-054 CARTON 3||In-library use|
|SC0975 2013-054 CARTON 4||In-library use|
|SC0975 2013-054 CARTON 5||In-library use|
|SC0975 2013-054 HALF BOX 6||In-library use|
- Stone, Wilfred, 1917-2015
- Finding aid
- Finding aid
- Collection largely pertains to his professional career at Stanford University and includes correspondence with former students and colleagues, committee files, class materials, lecture notes and references files on authors, and manuscripts. Some of the correspondence and manuscripts pertain to his work on E. M. Forster and the Bloomsbury group. Items of note in that category include notes from interviews with Julian Bell, Clive Bell, F. L. Lucas, Patrick Wilkinson, and Noel Annan; correspondence with David Garnett, Duncan Grant, and Noel Annan; and notes from his interviews with E. M. Forster, 1957-58. Stanford faculty among his correspondents include Robert McAfee Brown, H. Bruce Franklin, Albert and Barbara Gelpi, Arturo Islas, Diane Middlebrook, Tom Moser, Richard Scowcroft, and Albert J. Guerard. Other correspondents include William Chace, 1971-94; John O. and Mairi McCormick, 1962-2000; Jean and Stephen Parrish, 1949-2000; Lucio and Marcia Ruotolo, 1965-99; Arthur and Penelope Sale, 1960-2001; and Oliver and Gunnvor Stallybrass, 1958-2000.
- Annan, Noel Gilroy Annan, Baron, 1916-2000.
- Bell, Clive, 1881-1964.
- Brown, Robert McAfee, 1920-2001.
- Chace, William M.
- Forster, E. M. (Edward Morgan), 1879-1970.
- Franklin, H. Bruce (Howard Bruce), 1934-
- Garnett, David S.
- Gelpi, Albert.
- Gelpi, Barbara Charlesworth.
- Grant, Duncan, 1885-1978.
- Guérard, Albert J. (Albert Joseph), 1914-2000
- Islas, Arturo, 1938-1991.
- Lucas, F. L. (Frank Laurence), 1894-1967.
- McCormick, John, 1918-2010
- MacInnes, Mairi.
- Middlebrook, Diane Wood, 1939-2007.
- Moser, Thomas C.
- Parrish, Stephen Maxfield.
- Ruotolo, Lucio P.
- Sale, Arthur (Arthur H. J.)
- Scowcroft, Richard.
- Stallybrass, Oliver.
- Wilkinson, L. P.
- Stanford University. English Department > Faculty.
- English literature > 20th century.
- Earliest date
- Latest date
- Special Collections and University Archives materials are stored offsite and must be paged 48 hours in advance. For more information on paging collections, see the department's website: http://library.stanford.edu/spc.
- The materials are open for research use. Audio-visual materials are not available in original format, and must be reformatted to a digital use copy.
- Access: papers written by Stanford students may not be photocopied.
- Cite as
- Wilfred Healey Stone Papers (SC0975). Dept. of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, Calif.
- All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94305-6064. Consent is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/spc/using-collections/permission-publish. Restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.
- Gift of Wilfred Healey Stone, 2010 & 2013.
- Wilfred Healey Stone earned his bachelor’s (1941) and master’s (1946) degrees in English at the University of Minnesota. He received his PhD at Harvard in 1950; he was awarded a Fulbright Grant for study at University of London in 1949. He joined the Stanford faculty in 1950 and served as director of freshman composition from 1962 to 1964. His published works include PROSE STYLE, A HANDBOOK FOR WRITERS and THE CAVE AND THE MOUNTAIN; A STUDY OF E. M. FORSTER. Stone retired in 1986 as professor emeritus.
Browse related items
Start at call number: