Literacy development with English learners : research-based instruction in grades K-6
- edited by Lori Helman.
- New York : Guilford Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- xvi, 271 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Solving problems in the teaching of literacy.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|PE1128 .A2 L532 2009||Unknown|
- Helman, Lori.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Helman, Factors Influencing Second-Language Literacy Development: A Road Map for Teachers. Au, Culturally Responsive Instruction: Application to Multiethnic, Multilingual Classrooms. Dutro, Helman, Explicit Language Instruction: A Key to Constructing Meaning. Garcia, DeNicolo, Making Informed Decisions about the Language and Literacy Assessment of English-Language Learners. Bear, Smith, The Literacy Development of English Learners: What Do We Know about Each Student's Literacy Development? Helman, Emergent Literacy: Planting the Seeds for Accomplished Reading and Writing. Helman, Opening Doors to Texts: Planning Effective Phonics Instruction with English Learners. Montero, Kuhn, English-Language Learners and Fluency Development: More Than Speed and Accuracy. Brock, Youngs, Oikonomidoy, Lapp, The Case of Ying: The Members of a Teacher Study Group Learn about Fostering the Reading Comprehension of English Learners. Templeton, Spelling--Meaning Relationships among Languages: Exploring Cognates and Their Possibilities. Pennington, Salas, Examining Teacher Dispositions toward Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Students. Helman, Effective Instructional Practices for English Learners. Helman, Literacy Development with English Learners: Concluding Thoughts.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781606232439 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- An indispensable course text and practitioner resource, this teacher-friendly book puts the needs of English language learners (ELLs) front and center. Leading authorities connect current research to effective instructional practices for elementary students with varying degrees of English proficiency. Key components of literacy instruction are addressed, including phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension. Chapters also explore how linguistic, sociocultural, psychological, and educational factors shape ELL literacy development, highlighting practical implications for the classroom. Reflection questions and a wealth of illustrative examples enhance the utility of this engaging, tightly edited work.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781606232439 20160528
- Publication date
- Solving problems in the teaching of literacy
- 9781606232439 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1606232436 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9781606232422 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1606232428 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: