Teaching environmental literacy : across campus and across the curriculum
- Bloomington : Indiana University Press, c2010.
- Physical description
- xviii, 216 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- Scholarship of teaching and learning.
GE70 .T38 2010
- Unknown GE70 .T38 2010
- Reynolds, Heather L.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword-- Acknowledgments Introduction: The Rationale for Teaching Environmental Literacy in Higher Education / Heather L. Reynolds, Eduardo S. Brondizio, Jennifer Meta Robinson, Doug Karpa, and Briana L. Gross Part 1. A Model for Grassroots, Multidisciplinary Faculty Inquiry / Jennifer Meta Robinson and Heather L. Reynolds Part 2. Core Learning Goals for Campus-wide Environmental Literacy Overview / Heather L. Reynolds (Biology)-- 1. At the Forest's Edge: A Place-Based Approach to Teaching Ecosystem Services / Keith M. Vogelsang and Eric J. Baack (Biology)-- 2. Population, Energy, and Sustainability / Bennet B. Brabson (Physics)-- 3. Population, Consumption, and Environment / Emilio F. Moran (Anthropology)-- 4. Economics and Sustainability / Christine Glaser (Economics)-- 5. A Sense of Place / Scott Russell Sanders (English)-- 6. Environmental Justice and a Sense of Place / John Applegate (Law)-- 7. Environmental Literacy and the Lifelong Cultivation of Wonder / Lisa H. Sideris (Religious Studies)-- 8. Teaching Environmental Communication Through Rhetorical Controversy / Phaedra C. Pezzullo (Communication and Culture) Part 3. Strategies for Teaching Environmental Literacy: Beyond the Traditional Classroom Overview / Doug Karpa (Instructional Development)-- 9. Effective Education for Environmental Literacy / Craig E. Nelson (Biology)-- 10. Learning in Place: The Campus as Ecosystem / James H. Capshew (History and Philosophy of Science)-- 11. Environmental Literacy and Service-Learning: A Multi-Text Rendering / Nicole Schonemann, Andrew Libby, and Claire King (Office of Service-Learning)-- 12. Sense of Place and the Physical Senses in Outdoor Environmental Learning / Matthew R. Auer (Public and Environmental Affairs)-- 13. A Natural Environment for Environmental Literacy / Keith Clay (Biology)-- 14. Teaching Outdoors / Vicky J. Meretsky (Public and Environmental Affairs) Part 4. Beyond Courses: Teaching Environmental Literacy across Campus and across the Curriculum Overview / Jennifer Meta Robinson (Communication and Culture)-- 15. Environmental Literacy and the Curriculum--An Administrative Perspective / Catherine Larson (Spanish and Portuguese)-- 16. Faculty, Staff, and Student Partnerships for Environmental Literacy and Sustainability / Briana L. Gross (Biology)-- 17. Food for Thought: A Multidisciplinary Faculty Grass-Roots Initiative for Sustainability and Service Learning / Whitney Schlegel (Human Biology), Heather L. Reynolds (Biology), Victoria M. Getty (Health, Physical Education and Recreation), Diane Henshel (Public and Environmental Affairs), and James W. Reidhaar (Fine Arts) Conclusion / Eduardo S. Brondizio (Anthropology) List of Contributors-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- To prepare today's students to meet growing global environmental challenges, colleges and universities must make environmental literacy a core learning goal for all students, in all disciplines. But what should an environmentally literate citizen know? What teaching and learning strategies are most effective in helping students think critically about human-environment interactions and sustainability, and integrate what they have learned in diverse settings? Educators from the natural and social sciences and the humanities discuss the critical content, skills, and affective qualities essential to environmental literacy. This volume is an invaluable resource for developing integrated, campus-wide programs to prepare students to think critically about, and to work to create, a sustainable society.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Environmental education.
- Publication date
- edited by Heather L. Reynolds ... [et al.].
- Scholarship of teaching and learning
- 9780253354099 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0253354099 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780253221506 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0253221501 (pbk. : alk. paper)