Critical pedagogy, ecoliteracy, & planetary crisis : the ecopedagogy movement
- Richard Kahn.
- New York : Peter Lang, c2010.
- Physical description
- xx, 186 p. ; 23 cm.
- Counterpoints (New York, N.Y.) v. 359.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC196 .K344 2010||Unknown|
- Kahn, Richard V., 1969-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -180) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- We live in a time of unprecedented planetary ecocrisis, one that poses the serious and ongoing threat of mass extinction. What role can critical pedagogy play in the face of such burgeoning catastrophe? Drawing upon a range of theoretical influences - including Paulo Freire, Ivan Illich, Herbert Marcuse, traditional ecological knowledge, and the cognitive praxis produced by today's grassroots activists in the alter-globalization, animal and earth liberation, and other radical social movements - this book offers the foundations of a philosophy of ecopedagogy for the global north. In so doing, it poses challenges to today's dominant ecoliteracy paradigms and programs, such as education for sustainable development, while theorizing the needed reconstruction of critical pedagogy itself in light of our presently disastrous ecological conditions. Students and teachers of critical pedagogy at all levels, as well as those involved in environmental studies and various forms of sustainability education, will find this book a powerful provocation to adjust their thinking and practice to better align with those who seek to abolish forms of culture predicated upon planetary extermination and the domination of nature.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781433105456 20160603
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Critical pedagogy, ecoliteracy, and planetary crisis
- Counterpoints : studies in the postmodern theory of education, 1058-1634 ; v. 359
- 9781433105456 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1433105454 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: