Whitewashing war : historical myth, corporate textbooks, and possibilites for democratic education
- Leahey, Christopher R.
- New York : Teachers College Press, c2010.
- Physical description
- xiv, 146 p. ; 24 cm.
DS557.74 .L43 2010
- Unknown DS557.74 .L43 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 125-134) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- "Whitewashing War" explores perhaps the most critical issue social studies educators presently face: How do we teach our students about war? In this timely book, Christopher Leahey investigates how the political struggles over the social studies curriculum, the corporate domination of the textbook and testing industry, and the curricular constraints of the No Child Left Behind Act combine to stifle historical inquiry and deprive students of meaningful social studies instruction. Using the controversial Vietnam War as a case study, Leahey holds textbook narratives up to the light, illuminating how the adoption process, interpretive framework, and selection of evidence combine to transform the past into thinly veiled historical myths. By attending to questions traditionally ignored in history education, this dynamic book challenges educators to rethink their pedagogical approaches to military conflict, American and otherwise. It calls on teachers to develop students' critical sensibilities to ask questions, conduct research, evaluate evidence, and make meaning of the past, and provides classroom lessons for history educators and students to engage in rich, intellectual encounters with the historical record.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 > Study and teaching > United States.
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 > Historiography.
- Textbooks > Political aspects > United States.
- Textbook bias > United States.
- Myth > Political aspects > United States.
- Education > Political aspects > United States.
- War and education > United States.
- Publication date
- Christopher R. Leahey ; foreword by E. Wayne Ross.
- 9780807750445 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807750441 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780807750438 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807750433 (pbk. : alk. paper)