Truce : the day the soldiers stopped fighting
- Jim Murphy.
- New York : Scholastic Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- 116 p. : ill., maps ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
D530 .M87 2009
- Unknown D530 .M87 2009
- Murphy, Jim, 1947-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 106-110) and index.
- Those stupid kings and emperors
- Things were beginning to look unpleasant
- All attacks are to be pushed to the extreme
- There is no longer any sense in this business
- It was a sight one will never see again
- The lull is finished
- Publisher's Summary
- Two-time Newbery Honor Book author Jim Murphy writes a stunning nonfiction masterpiece about a Christmas miracle on the Western Front during World War I. On July 29th 1914, the world's peace was shattered as the artillery of the Austria-Hungary Empire began shelling the troops of the country to its south. What followed was like a row of falling dominoes as one European country after another rushed into war. Soon most of Europe was fighting in this calamitous war that could have been avoided. This was, of course, the First World War. But who could have guessed that on December 25 the troops would openly defy their commanding officers by stopping the fighting and having a spontaneous celebration of Christmas with their "enemies"? (cont'd).
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents only
- Christmas Truce, 1914 > Juvenile literature.
- World War, 1914-1918 > Campaigns > Western Front > Juvenile literature.
- World War, 1914-1918 > Armistices > Juvenile literature.
- Christmas Truce, 1914.
- World War, 1914-1918 > Campaigns > Western Front.
- World War, 1914-1918 > Armistices.
- American Library Association Best Books for YA 2010.
- American Library Association Notable Children's Bk 01/2010.
- Booklist Editor's Choice/Books for Youth 2009.
- School Library Journal Best Books 2009.
- Publication date
- Accelerated Reader/Renaissance Learning MG 8.2 2
- A Junior Library Guild selection
- 9780545130493 (reinforced) : $19.99
- 0545130492 (reinforced) : $19.99