Dictionary of theologians to 1308
- Hill, Jonathan, 1976-
- Cambridge, UK : James Clarke & Co., 2010.
- Physical description
- 588 p. ; 26 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Introduction 7 Listing of Theologians 9 Index of People 566 Index of Subjects 578 Index of Councils and Synods 586 Biblical References 588.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- An exhaustive guide to every significant Christian theologian who lived from the first century to 1308, the year in which John Duns Scotus died. The dictionary encompasses the Catholic, Orthodox, Nestorian and Monophysite traditions, including information not previously available in English. Thoroughly indexed, the dictionary incorporates common variants of names and concepts which will help and direct the reader. The main criterion for inclusion has been contribution to the development of Christian theology. Sub-criteria by which that is measured include, above all, originality and influence on later figures. With over 290 entries, the dictionary provides a handy summary of theologians' lives and writings together with recent scholarship, as well as an up-to-date, definitive bibliography listing primary texts, translations and secondary literature in the major western European languages. Useful for all levels of academia; no other text matches the depth of the dictionary's bibliographies. The unprecedented thoroughness of Hill's compilation provides an essential resource for studies at all levels on such a large and varied range of Church thinkers.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Jonathan Hill.
- 9780227679708 (pbk.)
- 0227679709 (pbk.)