Race, remembering, and Jim Crow's teachers
- Hilton Kelly.
- New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical description
- xix, 133 p. ; 24 cm.
- Studies in African American history and culture.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC2731 .K45 2010||Unknown|
- Kelly, Hilton.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -128) and index.
- Contents Foreword Acknowledgements Part One: Remembering Teachers and Teaching Chapter One: "Dying with One's Boots On": Collective Remembering of Legally Segregated Schools for Blacks and Its Teachers Chapter Two: You Must Remember This: Reconstructions of the Geopolitics of Race and Racism in the Jim Crow South Chapter Three: Voices of Collective Remembering: Black Teachers in Edgecombe, Nash and Wilson Counties Part Two: Hidden Transcripts Revealed Chapter Four: "The Way We Found Them to Be": Black Teachers and the Politics of Respectability in Jim Crow North Carolina Chapter Five: A Strategy of Opportunity: Black Teachers and the Making of a New Form of Capital Part Three: Remembering Jim Crow's Teachers Chapter Five: "The Half Had Not Been Told": Hidden Transcripts Made Public Appendix A: Methodology Appendix B: Interview questions Appendix C: Table: Demographics and Characteristics of Participants Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415804783 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Using oral history interviews with forty-four former teachers from the Jim Crow era, local and state archival materials, and secondary historical sources, the author examines the surprising counter-memories of students, teachers, and community members who recall these schools not as being inferior, but as being of sufficient quality.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415804783 20160528
- African Americans > Education > History.
- African American teachers > History.
- Discrimination in education > United States > History.
- Segregation in education > United States > History.
- Segregation in education > Law and legislation > United States > History.
- Southern States > Race relations > History.
- United States > Race relations > History.
- Publication date
- Studies in African American history and culture
- 9780415804783 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415804787 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780203852354 (ebk.)
- 0203852354 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: