Educating today's overindulged youth : combat narcissism by building foundations, not pedestals
- Chad Mason and Karen Brackman.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2009.
- Physical description
- x, 104 p. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA210 .M345 2009||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 99-102).
- Chapter 1 A Narcissistic Society Chapter 2 Narcissism Defined Chapter 3 Societal Implications Chapter 4 Stages of Child Development Chapter 5 Narcissistic Parents in the School Setting Chapter 6 Narcissistic Students in the School Setting Chapter 7 Education's Role in the Growth of Narcissism Chapter 8 Strategies for Examining and Reducing Narcissism in Schools Chapter 9 Understanding and Addressing the Narcissistic Point of View Chapter 10 An Examination of Case Studies.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781607092063 20160603
- Publisher's Summary
- This book examines narcissistic, self-absorbed attitudes and behaviors of individuals and the effects of these attitudes and behaviors on the American school system. As the effects are widespread and detrimental, the book also discusses multiple strategies to combat narcissism in schools. Extensive reading, critical observation, and nearly 35 years of combined educational experience led to the formation and completion of this project. Research was collected from over 40 sources including books, periodicals, newspaper articles, interviews, and workshops. Specifically, the book defines narcissistic qualities, identifies long-term societal effects of narcissistic living, discusses narcissism in relation to child development, and extensively examines narcissism in the school setting (the people and practices). The book challenges teachers, counselors, and administrators to reflect on their role in educating the narcissistic population and to adopt strategies to reverse the growing trend. In turn, educators are encouraged to foster a learning experience that promotes greater responsibility, durability, and independence on the part of the learner and that emphasizes the concept of living, learning, and working for the 'greater good' in our society.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781607092063 20160603
- Publication date
- 9781607092056 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1607092050 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781607092063 (paper : alk. paper)
- 1607092069 (paper : alk. paper)
- 9781607092070 (ebk.)
- 1607092077 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: