Failure is not an option : 6 principles for making student success the only option
- Alan M. Blankstein ; foreword by Michael Fullan.
- 2nd ed.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin : HOPE Foundation : National Education Association, c2010.
- Physical description
- xxi, 263 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2822.82 .B53 2010||Unknown|
- Blankstein, Alan M., 1959-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 237-253) and index.
- List of Case Stories and Case Examples List of Resources Foreword by Michael Fullan Acknowledgments About the Author 1. Why Failure Is Not an Option 2. Courageous Leadership for School Success 3. 10 Common Routes to Failure, and How to Avoid Each 4. Relational Trust as Foundation for the Learning Community 5. Principle 1: Common Mission, Vision, Values, and Goals 6. Principle 2: Ensuring Achievement for All Students-Systems for Prevention and Intervention 7. Principle 3: Collaborative Teaming Focused on Teaching for Learning 8. Principle 4: Data-Based Decision Making for Continuous Improvement 9. Principle 5: Gaining Active Engagement From Family and Community by Alan M. Blankstein and Pedro A. Noguera 10. Principle 6: Building Sustainable Leadership Capacity by Alan M. Blankstein with Andy Hargreaves and Dean Fink Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- 'Educational books that engage both head and heart are rare. This is one of those exceptions: an authentic and powerful call to action, written in an accessible and utterly compelling way. It reminds us that school failure is not a given, that there are ways to make a difference for all young people in all settings, and that education is more than test scores or grades. Ultimately we are shaping individual futures and life chances. For that alone, this resource should be on every educator's bookshelf' - Alma Harris, Professor University of London. For our children, for our future: failure is never an option! Anchored in the moral purpose of sustaining success for all students, this second edition of the bestseller demonstrates how to reshape school cultures to support continuous student success. With contributions from Pedro A. Noguera, Andy Hargreaves, and Dean Fink, this book outlines the Who, What, and How of becoming a high-performing school and learning community, shows how to avoid ten common routes to failure, provides double the resources, includes many new case stories and examples, and offers new emphasis on: Diversity; Assessment for learning; Intervention and support for students at risk; and, Schooling as a community endeavor involving families. Resources referenced in "Failure Is Not an Option[registered], Second Edition" are available in "The Facilitator's Guide to Failure Is Not an Option[registered], Second Edition".
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781412979238 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412979234 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: