Preparing educators to engage families : case studies using an ecological systems framework
- 2nd ed.
- Los Angeles : SAGE, c2010.
- Physical description
- xxxv, 164 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
LB1048.5 .P74 2010
- Unknown LB1048.5 .P74 2010
- Weiss, Heather Bastow.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 146-157) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments Introduction: Preparing Educators in Family Engagement About Family Engagement in Education How to Use the Casebook PART I. THE MICROSYSTEM 1. Theoretical Perspectives on the Microsystem Motivation to Learn A Developmental-Contextual Perspective 2. The Microsystem Cases Case 1. A Special Education Plan for Anabela: Does Supporting Her Needs Mean Holding Her Back? Case 2. My Favorite Subject Is Lunch: Motivating a Disengaged Student PART II. THE MESOSYSTEM 3. Theoretical Perspectives on the Mesosystem Social Executive Functioning Community Support for Family Engagement in Children's Learning 4. The Mesosystem Cases Case 3. Lunchtime at Sunnydale Elementary School: What Do First Graders Need? Case 4. Defining "Fine": Communicating Academic Progress to Parents Case 5. Bilingual Voices and Parent Classroom Choices: Family Engagement in Language and Literacy PART III. THE EXOSYSTEM 5. Theoretical Perspectives on the Exosystem School-Based Family Support 6. The Exosystem Cases Case 6. Afterschool for Cindy: Family, School, and Community Roles in Out-of-School Time Case 7. Piecing It Together: Linking Systems to Support a Student and Family PART IV. THE MACROSYSTEM 7. Theoretical Perspectives on the Macrosystem Ecocultural Understanding Ethnic and Racial Diversity 8. The Macrosystem Cases Case 8. What Words Don't Say: Talking About Racism Case 9. Raising Children Alone: Poverty, Welfare Reform, and Family Involvement Case 10. Learning in the Shadow of Violence: Community, Culture, and Family Engagement PART V. THE CHRONOSYSTEM 9. Theoretical Perspectives on the Chronosystem Families, Time, and Learning 10. The Chronosystem Cases Case 11. Tomasito Is Too Big to Hold Hands: The Developing Child and the Home-School Relationship Case 12. Staying on the Path Toward College: One Boy at the Crossroads Glossary References Index About the Authors About the Contributors.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- "Preparing Educators to Engage Families: Case Studies Using an Ecological Systems Framework, Second Edition" encourages readers to hone their analytic and problem-solving skills for use in real-world situations with students and their families. Organized according to Ecological Systems Theory (of the micro, meso, exo, macro, and chrono systems), the text presents research-based teaching cases that reflect critical dilemmas in family-school-community relations, especially among families for whom poverty and cultural differences are daily realities.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Heather B. Weiss ... [et al.].
- Rev. ed. of: Preparing educators to involve families. c1995.
- Related Work
- Preparing educators to involve families.
- 9781412974370 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412974372 (pbk. : alk. paper)