Telling stories with photo essays : a guide for PreK-5 teachers
- Susan Conklin Thompson, Kayenta Williams.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2009.
- Physical description
- vii, 140 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1042 .T47 2009||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 133-136) and index.
- Acknowledgments About the Authors Introduction 1. Photo Essays and Children Photography and Expression Children as Photographers 2. Developing a Photo Essay Photo Essays Captions and Photographs Working Together for Voice Thinking In-Depth About Captions Timelines Teachers and Photo Essays Presentation Formats for Photo Essays Children Presenting Photo Essays 3. Photographs Tell a Story in History Creating a Historical Photo Essay: The Freedom Trail Ideas for Historical Photo Essays 4. Personal History Photo Essays Sample Personal History Photo Essay Ideas for Personal History Photo Essays 5. Nature Experience Photo Essays Sample Nature Photo Essay Ideas for Nature Photo Essays 6. Field Trip Photo Essays Sample Field Trip Photo Essay Ideas for Field Trip Photo Essays 7. Overcoming Traumatic Events Sample Photo Essay of a Tornado Ideas for Photo Essays Helping Children Deal With Traumatic Events 8. Career Photo Essays Sample Career Photo Essay Ideas for Career Photo Essays 9. Integrating Curriculum Photo Essays Sample Photo Essay of an Integrated Math Activity Ideas for Integrated Photo Essays 10. Advocacy Photo Essays Sample Advocacy Photo Essay on Endangered Animals Ideas for Advocacy Photo Essays 11. Using Photographs to Interpret the Past-- Contributing Author Dr. Gary Fertig Using Photographs to Evaluate the Historical Significance of Change Using Photographs to Identify Causes and Effects Using Photographs to Evoke Empathy Using Photographs to Initiate Historical Inquiry Summary and Conclusions 12. Assessment and Rubrics Resource: Standards Alignment Bibliography of Suggested Children's Photo Essay Books References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412964586 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Photo essays can document many things, including a historical event, a family's history, science experiments, observations in nature, journeys, field trips, and personal experiences and interests. When children create photo essays, they are able to communicate their experiences and thoughts in an authentic and very personal way. "Telling Stories With Photo Essays" offers teachers ways to involve children in creating photo essays and discusses the role photography can play in allowing children to communicate their ideas, experiences, and emotions. Educators will discover how to give children the creative means for: capturing the aesthetics in their environment; documenting historical events as well as their own stories and histories; recording what they are learning; and, becoming advocates for causes they believe in as they explore the concept of being responsible citizens.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412964586 20160528
- Publication date
- 9781412964586 (cloth)
- 141296458X (cloth)
- 9781412964593 (pbk.)
- 1412964598 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: