Leading adult learning : supporting adult development in our schools
- Eleanor Drago-Severson.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2009.
- Physical description
- xix, 344 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1731 .D7 2009||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 315-335) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments About the Author Part 1. Foundations 1. A New Model of Leadership for Adult Growth and Learning In This Chapter Meeting Adaptive Challenges The Need for a New Model of Leadership Supporting Learning Across the System Re-envisioning Staff Development The Research Informing This Book A New Learning-Oriented Model of School Leadership Organization of the Book Summary and Conclusion Reflective Questions 2. How Constructive-Developmental Theory Informs the Pillar Practices Why Constructive-Developmental Theory? Informational Learning vs Transformational Learning Constructive-Developmental Theory: An Introduction Why Ways of Knowing Matter When Supporting Adult Growth Shaping School Cultures: Noble Expectations and Hidden Developmental Demands The Holding Environment and Why It Matters in Schools The Learning-Oriented Leadership Model Chapter Summary Frequently Asked Questions Application Exercise Reflective Questions Part 2. Pillar Practices for Growth 3. Teaming: Growth Opportunities for Individuals, Organizations, and Systems About Effective Teaming and Its Value Key Elements of Successful Teaming The Team as a Source of Individual Growth and Development Why and How School Leaders Employ Teaming Team Structures That Nurture Adult Development Implementing Teaming: Lessons From the Field Chapter Summary Frequently Asked Questions Application Exercise Reflective Questions 4. Providing Leadership Roles: Learning and Growing From Leading Together About Providing Leadership Roles Developmental Benefits of Providing Leadership Roles Examples of School Leaders? Use of Providing Leadership Roles Cases and Lessons From the Field Chapter Summary Reflective Questions 5. Collegial Inquiry: Engaging in Shared Dialogue and Reflection on Practice Collegial Inquiry: A Kind of Reflective Practice Collaborative Cultures How Collegial Inquiry Attends to Developmental Diversity Why and How School Leaders Employ Collegial Inquiry Practices School Leaders Use to Initiate Collegial Inquiry Case Study: One Principal?s ?Rare and Unique Opportunity? to Engage in Reflective Practice Over Time Convenings: Personal Case-Based Discussions That Support Collegial Inquiry Chapter Summary Application Exercises Reflective Questions 6. Mentoring: Building Meaningful and Growth-Enhancing Relationships About Effective Mentoring and Its Value Mentoring and Developmental Diversity Implications: How Our Way of Knowing Influences the Way We Mentor Why and How School Leaders Employ Mentoring An Example of a Mentoring Program: Lessons From the Field A Protocol for Mentoring Relationships That Nurture Adult Development Chapter Summary Application Exercise Reflective Questions 7. Implementing the Pillar Practices: Cases From the Field Case 1: Mentoring Principals and Assistant Principals Case 2: Coaching School Leaders Case 3: Leading Teachers by Listening Case 4: Supporting Adult Development Through Schoolwide Transformation Case 5: The Pillar Practices, Hawaiian Style Chapter Summary Application Exercise Reflective Questions 8. The School as Learning Center: Stepping Forward With Hope Meeting Adaptive Challenges by Building Developmental Capacity The Promise of Building Schools as Learning Centers Implications of the New Learning-Oriented Leadership Model Attending to and Valuing Adults? Ways of Knowing Putting the New Learning-Oriented Model Into Practice Stepping Forward On the Gift of Giving Research Appendix Glossary Endnotes References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- 'Eleanor Drago-Severson takes hold of an important and neglected truth: students grow best in schools where the adults around them are growing, too. In this nurturing and much-anticipated work, the author shows us exactly how to make this happen. Sound theory, vivid examples, and, best of all, a practice-ready framework-it's all here! Anyone who cares about making our schools better will feel richly rewarded for spending time with this encouraging book' - Robert Kegan, Meehan Professor of Adult Learning and Professional Development, Harvard University Graduate School of Education, Coauthor of "Immunity to Change". 'With this comprehensive and compelling book, Eleanor Drago-Severson establishes herself as a leading authority on authoritative leadership in education' - Howard Gardner, Author of "Leading Minds". Support the growth and development of all adults - teachers, principals, and superintendents - in your school community! Educators at every level go through different stages of development over the course of their lives and need different kinds of supports and challenges to grow. "Leading Adult Learning" introduces a model of adult development that helps school and district leaders consciously cultivate teacher, head teacher, and education officer capacities in the educational workplace. Eleanor Drago-Severson's developmental model of learning-oriented school leadership draws from multiple knowledge domains, including adult learning, developmental theory, leadership practice, and organizational collaboration. The book shows head teachers how to foster growth and learning for individuals with different needs and developmental orientations. With a focus on research and application, this volume: details four Pillar Practices for growth-teaming, providing leadership roles, collegial inquiry, and mentoring - which can support all adults; presents extensive research and practical application from head teachers, teachers, Education Officers, and other school leaders from across the nation; and, includes application exercises, reflective questions, and lessons from the field to assist you in applying this learning-oriented model to your school and school system. Drago-Severson makes a compelling case for deliberately supporting adult development within and across school systems to enhance adults' capacities, school improvement, and student achievement.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- A Joint Publication with the National Staff Development Council.
- 9781412950718 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1412950716 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781412950725 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412950724 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: