Forest brothers : the account of an anti-Soviet Lithuanian freedom fighter, 1944-1948
- by Juozas Lukša ; translated by Laima Vince.
- Uniform Title
- Partizanai. English
- Budapest, Hungary ; New York : Central European University Press, 2009.
- Physical description
- ix, 411 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- Daumantas, Juozas, 1921-1951.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Acknowledgments-- Introduction: The Invisible Front: Lithuania's Armed Resistance Against the Soviet Union-- Part I The Decision to Stay on Our Native Land, July 1944-July 1945-- Part II Choosing the Fate of a Partisan, July 1945-January 1946-- Part III On the Partisan Road, January 1946-May 1947-- Part IV Breaking Through the Iron Curtain to the West, June 1947-December 1947-- Afterword-- Appendix.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- An autobiographical account of the armed resistance against the Soviet Union, which took place between 1944-1956. Published in English for the first time in unabridged form, Luksa's (codename Daumantas) memoir remains one of the few reliable eye-witness accounts of the Invisible Front, as dubbed by Soviet security forces. At its zenith 28,000 guerilla fighters participated in battles and skirmishes throughout Lithuania, Luka being one of the leaders. "Forest Brothers" also documents the role of women in the resistance, giving equal credit to these often silent partners. In 1948, Luka and two comrades broke through the Iron Curtain on the Polish border. He sought training from the French intelligence and from the CIA. Luka was flown back into the Soviet Union under the radar on the night of October 4, 1950. He managed to survive and operate eleven months until his near capture and death on the night of September 5, 1951. His memoir, written during 1948-1950, while he was living in hiding in Paris, describes in vivid scenes and dialogue the daily struggles of the resistance.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9789639776371 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9639776378 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9789639776586 (pbk.)
- 9639776580 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: