Chemical reactor design, optimization, and scaleup [electronic resource]
- E. Bruce Nauman.
- 2nd ed.
- Hoboken, N.J. : Wiley, c2008.
- Physical description
- 1 online resourece (xxxii, 608 p.) : ill.
- Nauman, E. B.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 601-602) and index.
- Preface to the Second Edition. Symbols. 1 Elementary Reactions in Ideal Reactors. 1.1 Material Balances. 1.2 Elementary Reactions. 1.3 Reaction Order and Mechanism. 1.4 Ideal, Isothermal Reactors. 1.5 Mixing Times and Scaleup. 1.6 Dimensionless Variables and Numbers. 1.7 Batch Versus Flow and Tank Versus Tube. 2 Multiple Reactions in Batch Reactors. 2.1 Multiple and Nonelementary Reactions. 2.2 Component Reaction Rates for Multiple Reactions. 2.3 Multiple Reactions in Batch Reactors. 2.4 Numerical Solutions to Sets of First-Order ODEs. 2.5 Analytically Tractable Examples. 2.6 Variable-Volume Batch Reactors. 2.7 Scaleup of Batch Reactions. 2.8 Stoichiometry and Reaction Coordinates. 3 Isothermal Piston Flow Reactors. 3.1 Piston Flow with Constant Mass Flow. 3.2 Scaleup Relationships for Tubular Reactors. 3.3 Scaleup Strategies for Tubular Reactors. 3.4 Scaling Down. 3.5 Transpired-Wall Reactors. 4 Stirred Tanks and Reactor Combinations. 4.1 Continuous Flow Stirred Tank Reactors. 4.2 Method of False Transients. 4.3 CSTRs with Variable Density. 4.4 Scaling Factors for Liquid Phase Stirred Tanks. 4.5 Combinations of Reactors. 4.6 Imperfect Mixing. 5 Thermal Effects and Energy Balances. 5.1 Temperature Dependence of Reaction Rates. 5.2 Energy Balance. 5.3 Scaleup of Nonisothermal Reactors. 6 Design and Optimization Studies. 6.1 Consecutive Reaction Sequence. 6.2 Competitive Reaction Sequence. 7 Fitting Rate Data and Using Thermodynamics. 7.1 Fitting Data to Models. 7.2 Thermodynamics of Chemical Reactions. 8 Real Tubular Reactors in Laminar Flow. 8.1 Flow in Tubes with Negligible Diffusion. 8.2 Tube Flows with Diffusion. 8.3 Method of Lines. 8.4 Effects of Variable Viscosity. 8.5 Comprehensive Models. 8.6 Performance Optimization. 8.7 Scaleup of Laminar Flow Reactors. 9 Packed Beds and Turbulent Tubes. 9.1 Packed-Bed Reactors. 9.2 Turbulence. 9.3 Axial Dispersion Model. 9.4 Scaleup and Modeling Considerations. 10 Heterogeneous Catalysis. 10.1 Overview of Transport and Reaction Steps. 10.2 Governing Equations for Transport and Reaction. 10.3 Intrinsic Kinetics. 10.4 Effectiveness Factors. 10.5 Experimental Determination of Intrinsic Kinetics. 10.6 Unsteady Operation and Surface Inventories. 11 Multiphase Reactors. 11.1 Gas-Liquid and Liquid-Liquid Reactors. 11.2 Three-Phase Reactors. 11.3 Moving-Solids Reactors. 11.4 Noncatalytic Fluid-Solid Reactions. 11.5 Scaleup of Multiphase Reactors. 12 Biochemical Reaction Engineering. 12.1 Enzyme Catalysis. 12.2 Cell Culture. 12.3 Combinatorial Chemistry. 13 Polymer Reaction Engineering. 13.1 Polymerization Reactions. 13.2 Molecular Weight Distributions. 13.3 Kinetics of Condensation Polymerizations. 13.4 Kinetics of Addition Polymerizations. 13.5 Polymerization Reactors. 13.6 Scaleup Considerations. 14 Unsteady Reactors. 14.1 Unsteady Stirred Tanks. 14.2 Unsteady Piston Flow. 14.3 Unsteady Convective Diffusion. 15 Residence Time Distributions. 15.1 Residence Time Theory. 15.2 Residence Time Models. 15.3 Reaction Yields. 15.4 Extensions of Residence Time Theory. 15.5 Scaleup Considerations. 16 Reactor Design at Meso-, Micro-, and Nanoscales. 16.1 Mesoscale Reactors. 16.2 Microscale Reactors. 16.3 Nanoscale Reactors. 16.4 Scaling, Up or Down. Suggested Further Readings. Problems. References. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The classic reference, now expanded and updated Chemical Reactor Design, Optimization, and Scaleup is the authoritative sourcebook on chemical reactors. This new Second Edition consolidates the latest information on current optimization and scaleup methodologies, numerical methods, and biochemical and polymer reactions. It provides the comprehensive tools and information to help readers design and specify chemical reactors confidently, with state-of-the-art skills. This authoritative guide: Covers the fundamentals and principles of chemical reactor design, along with advanced topics and applications Presents techniques for dealing with varying physical properties in reactors of all types and purposes Includes a completely new chapter on meso-, micro-, and nano-scale reactors that addresses such topics as axial diffusion in micro-scale reactors and self-assembly of nano-scale structures Explains the method of false transients, a numerical solution technique Includes suggestions for further reading, problems, and, when appropriate, scaleup or scaledown considerations at the end of each chapter to illustrate industrial applications Serves as a ready reference for explained formulas, principles, and data This is the definitive hands-on reference for practicing professionals and an excellent textbook for courses in chemical reactor design. It is an essential resource for chemical engineers in the process industries, including petrochemicals, biochemicals, microelectronics, and water treatment.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Description based on print version record.
- Available in another form
- Print version: Nauman, E. B. Chemical reactor design, optimization, and scaleup. Hoboken, N.J. : Wiley, c2008 ( 9780470105252 ) ( 0470105259 )
- 9780470282076 (online)
- 047028207X (online)